is it really worth it

simonm

• 1 month later...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoy doing tree work but lately ive been thinking is it really worth all the hassle! People round here seem to be working for nothing and i cant compete customers don't seem to care how good a job you do and would rather save a few quid and pay some numptys to do a crap job! Kit costs a fortune, fuel in everything you all know how it goes. Overheads are huge even for a 2 man team...we have been doing alot of fencing and i don't turn as much money over but when its all worked out as overheads are lower we are actually better off:thumbup1: plus at the end of the day in not faffing about cleaning,checking,servicing kit when i could be spending time with my other half. Is it just 1 of those days or does anyone else think like that?

Hi mate ,

Know where your coming from here, priced a big cypress take down a while ago £1200 found out that the company did it for £300 3 men all day inc chipper they have since gone bust suprise suprise

Priced a 5ft Euc take down a week or so ago, in back garden, long drag to chip brash, timber to be logged Etc, anyway think it was around £1800 I heard from the lady tonight she's agreed a company to do it for £875 plus vat.

Don't get me wrong I'm very busy and not complaining as such it just gets me that either these big companies are jut going out cheap to win work just to stay busy or there are some people out thee just working for nothing. However fencing wise I don't think I've had a quote turned down, strange

Rant over

i dont rely on tree surgery for day to day wages and dont really understand how mind blowing quotes are accepted. at my last domestic job i removed 3 elm from a garden where a previous outfit quoted £800 quite a nasty job with phone lines, buildings, walls, public roads, sentimental shrubs all under the trees that were leaning badly in the wrong direction. i had them down and removed for free with the firewood value easily covering 2 folks wages and expenses.

i loved it:thumbup:

its not just the tree game its ground maintanance. quoted to cut a play area about 2 acres. quoted as per spec cut main grass and surounding areas strim the other bits. i lost the job big firm got it doing it for £30 a cut. but not as per spec. now looking for someone to do rest. when i could of done it to the spec for less thn what its going to cost now.

and there not chasing them to do it to spec. as for the gras cutting. well tram lines left after cutting so kids get covered in grass. at least when i do mine there is hardly any grass left if any

if i could i lay hedges all year

i dont rely on tree surgery for day to day wages and dont really understand how mind blowing quotes are accepted. at my last domestic job i removed 3 elm from a garden where a previous outfit quoted £800 quite a nasty job with phone lines, buildings, walls, public roads, sentimental shrubs all under the trees that were leaning badly in the wrong direction. i had them down and removed for free with the firewood value easily covering 2 folks wages and expenses.

Throw the baited line out there and see if you get a bite???

Your first line said it all. Most of us do!

What eould you of done if you had caused any damage? Thats what people like you dont understand, a phone line costs 200 quid to get fixed! You must be stupid!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

Your first line said it all. Most of us do!

What eould you of done if you had caused any damage? Thats what people like you dont understand, a phone line costs 200 quid to get fixed! You must be stupid!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

What about insurance, tickets, machine costs etc? its people like this making it harder for people who do make a living from tree work and run a propper firm. It's very rare I will do a tree for the wood as it really isn't worth it as a business.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The firewood always covers the price of the job, we just charge more so we can spend the money on wine women and song.

Don't you want your share of wine women and song?

What about insurance, tickets, machine costs etc? its people like this making it harder for people who do make a living from tree work and run a propper firm. It's very rare I will do a tree for the wood as it really isn't worth it as a business.

That was aimed at the guy you replyed to Ian, I quoted the wrong bit. Sorry:)