Chipper flywheel bearings

Will C

Forst arnt double the size of gm bearings. ...who said that? Like most other bearings there good quality greasable ones.

Bandit are double the size but not taken with the rest of the machine, too slow and messy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We seem to spend a lot of time banging on about bearings.

We have fitted them on lots of different machines but tbh not really an issue when you look at other issues with chippers

Ie this week waiting for a engineer to look at two hitch issues on a brand new chipper.

Got let done so rearranged

Turned up late

Did not have the correct parts

Meanwhile I am hiring extra vehicles paying staff time to keep meeting them.

Another chipper manufacturer took 6 weeks to get a new stop bar made and we could not use the machine for all that time.

Another machine had 5 gearboxes in its first 2 yrs

Each costing more than 4 bearing changes and waited 1 week each time as they don't stock em.

Backup and local is much more important

The machine is only as good as the dealer.

Eggszackery . The lads said there was smoke coming from the bearing on the roller side of the small road tow timberwolf the other day. I went down to green plant and picked up all the bearings,shims etc which were all off the shelf. Stripped it down that night and changed the bearings and it was out the next morning. As it happens the smoke was from a load of phone wire wrapped round the shaft but the bearings needed doing anyway. Thats the benefit of having a decent local dealer, no down time.

Bob

if you change yr blades on a regular basis ,keeping them sharp yr bearings will last a lot longer simples , i think some arbs are just slack ares lazy wen iyt comes to blades ,then mone wen they have to change bearings ,tw have a chipping life of between 30mins to 10hrs max before they need a change ,ther cheap enough to buy so just have a few SHARP sets ,

:biggrin:

They all have their pros and cons.

Each salesman will remind you of the pros of his machine and the cons of the competitors.

When the salesman moves to another company he simply alters his script.

You have obviously noticed the bashing TW have had over bearings, I had one and that was my only gripe.

I have a Greenmech now and don't really have any complaints.

I have never owned any other make so cannot comment.

Most people will be avid fans of the chipper they run , and more critical of the ones they used to run. At present Forst seem very popular - in a few years time who knows?

Try a few makes and buy what works best for you.

We all want a 100hp 24 inch easy grease beast that weighs under 750kg but nobody has made one yet - hmmmm -think I'll get the welding gear out later and have a go.

Best advice.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

While I don't disagree that good dealer back up is priceless, a lot of the bits for a chipper are commercial off the shelf parts parts and can be sourced from local engineering factors.

On the same token I went in there got all the bearings ,shims ,anvil`s and bolts just in case as I was doing this at night and did not know what needed changing. Dave at Greenplant said just bring back what you dont use. As it was I only needed the two bearings in the sleeve by the rollers. Now that is service and I dont begrudge them the extra few quid on the bearings for that kind of service. They have even left bits out for me if I am running late.

8e5a5cc864337803b8f912076b3f8775_zpsf9bf25f0.jpg

Bob