Who would buy a chainsaw off eBay?

Arborwear UK

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, so a simple interface for an individual to enter a serial number and it's result to display 'suspicious' or 'no history'?

If suspicious, we could then expand it request further info.

How would you establish legitimate ownership of the item and police who puts the numbers on the data base?

Consider a disgruntled employee who lists their employers saws?

My advice with ebay is buy local. I buy and sell a lot of stuff on ebay. But I always when buying make sure I can collect and pay cash on collection. Then you can check it over and walk away if its a dud.

I did buy a chainsaw from a guy about 40 miles away - so a round trip of 80 miles. The saw was a wreck, he could not even get it to start and the pulley snapped while I was there. Ok I wasted time and some petrol money, but it saved me a a few £'s and aggro in the long run.

Gumtree is worse by far - full of knocked off gear and crooks.

I wouldn't part with big money for a saw on ebay but i have got some lovely older saws for not a huge amount and been happy with them. i think its just a case of reading and re reading the description and looking twice at the pics to make sure your not imagining its better than it is.

and also know when to stop bidding lots of saws get bid up and go for money thats not worth the risk it might be good money for a good saw but till it arrives it might not be a good saw!

Nope, even from a private seller, ebay/paypal give the buyer 45 days to open a dispute if it's not as described. 45 days is a long time for someone to use/abuse/damage whatever they've bought and then decide to send it back.

Unfortunatley I found this out by experience.

Thats Ebay rules and its about to be reduced to 30 days, so a bit more sensible and they say they are doing something returns abuse, we shall wait and see. Outside of Ebay though, there is very little comeback on the dodgy private seller

I wouldn't part with big money for a saw on ebay but i have got some lovely older saws for not a huge amount and been happy with them. i think its just a case of reading and re reading the description and looking twice at the pics to make sure your not imagining its better than it is.

and also know when to stop bidding lots of saws get bid up and go for money thats not worth the risk it might be good money for a good saw but till it arrives it might not be a good saw!

This is exactly where it scores for me. For example, looking at milling saws there have been a load of 070s going for around the £500 mark lately but today there was an 076, complete with chainbrake, only made £255. I didn't buy it (don't need another one!) but the patience to wait a few weeks would have got you the latter as a sensible option, rather than the former.

Alec

This is exactly where it scores for me. For example, looking at milling saws there have been a load of 070s going for around the £500 mark lately but today there was an 076, complete with chainbrake, only made £255. I didn't buy it (don't need another one!) but the patience to wait a few weeks would have got you the latter as a sensible option, rather than the former.

Alec

thats very true there is another 076 finishing tomorrow night i bought a dolmar kms-4 wankel from this seller last year and he emailed me to say this saw was being listed this week there are some good sellers on ebay but there are some dodgy ones you just gotta be very selective :thumbup::thumbup: