Moovin Ones Butt

FriarsGorse

I'm lucky enough to be able to carve in some local woods so I don't have a problem with making a racket. Theres not much big wood there and if there was I don't know how I would shift it. I would like to go begging for some big stuff as I would love to have a go at some bigger carvings but if I was offered some ...:confused1: I have a Defender 110 pick up (only because I've got a good mate who can fix it fairly regularly) but don't know quite how to go about loading and unloading some big stuff. Of course if money were no object ... but it is !!!! Anyone got any good tips or ideas because I just ain't as strong as Tom :thumbup:

Put a rope through a convenient high.ish fork in a ,tree tie one end to the log the other to the tow hitch drive forward lifting the log in the air , with a second rope tied to the log and through another fork , tie off the end with a few wraps around the tree ( arb lowering style ) position truck under log and lower ( carefully and slowly ! ) in to back of pick up ! This should be OK for logs up to about half a ton ( pick up capacity ) with practice this can be very cheap and effective for occasional use , take care not to stand under the raised log at any time !! With two pick ups and another person it becomes quite easy , assuming there is a conveniently situated " craning " tree .

Wheelbarrow and pump up that tyre up. Set of timber tongs and remember and bend your back rather than your knees, short sharp lift aswell.

Joking aside. I have moved some of the bigger bits with long bits of wood and shallow ramps to get them in the trailer. One of the main problems I have is getting the log standing upright. I have used stacks of pallets before to gradually manoeuvre the piece into place. As I add more I place timber down through them to hold them in place, either that or it's Jenga time then A&E.

The magic blue rope gets an outing for this, very underrated IMO.

I have a similar problem. I'm lucky because I have had quite a lot of big timber dropped off by a huge tractor and trailer which to be honest I pay peanuts for considering the amount of wood and it's delivered. But...they're too big to move,i never refuse the timber when it's offered (sporadic) and it's starting to pile up and is getting in the way.

I also want to carve some bigger stuff but even if I did the carvings are still gonna be a problem to move.......arggggggh!

Can't bring myself to chop it up, seems a shame.

Been thinking about milling some of it, maybe for benches,tabletops but that's a load more expensive gear and a whole new world.....arrrrgghh!

Dilemma.

No time to carve never mind spend my life at the gym becoming the worlds strongest man so I can shift the stuff.

**** it!!! Anyone wanna buy any carving gear.

Sorry, just realised this doesn't help at all.

I use an old plant trailer and an engine hoist. The hoist it the type which comes to bits quickly and doesn't have proper wheels, only the little ones for rolling around in a garage.

If you use a reasonable length strop you can get a good swing and move the log around fairly easily, making sure you rest it on blocks rather than the hoist legs.

I have moved green oak about 15" dia x 10' long without any difficulty.

Alec