Building a shed.

eggsarascal

maybe asking a carpenter for advice would help.

or watching this video from the two Ronnies

The Two Ronnies - How To Build A Garden Shed - YouTube

I don't need a joiner just a set of plans to work off.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That would help wouldn't it!:blushing:

I'll lay a concrete base. I'm going to build the shed in timber, build the frame then clad the outside and insulate and board the inside. With a flat'ish roof.

By flatish roof, I take it you mean monopitch?

Studwork construction is simple, floor plate, studs at 600 mm centres, double up at corners doors and windows, ceiling plate, if your going to clad in insulation round the outside then 12mm ply on inside, to rigid it up. May need calcs for roof depending on width, and what you are clading roof in

If you want a nice sturdy shed, then plans ain't too difficult. Firstly decide on what and where for doors and windows. Then source or make the correct frames. Stand the door frames up where you want them and Plumb them up. Keeping them uptight and safe with some scaffold planks with nails in the end hooked over the top with weight on the bottom. Use 4x2for frame, laying a sole plate on the floor first and fixing to concrete. Corners should be half housed. Next make a copy of the sole plate for the roof plate. Only difference is no gaps for doors. Put roof plate to side and start framing. One stud every 2ft. Start on one corner. Fix corner stud at bottom, fix stud at other end of plate. Then fit plate. Fill in gaps and continue round till complete. Not forgetting windows. Fit noggins mid height in studs. Use 4x2 for rafters, if you tell me roof pitch I'll tell you exact rafter length. Again every 600. Use 6x2 for ceiling joists at every other rafter. This is a solid shed. If storage is wanted in eaves then put more ceiling joists in. Extra timber may be needed above doors and windows depending on size.

Basic cutting list.

220ft of 4x2 for roof and sole plate.

52no 2.4m 4x2 for studs. 13no 2.4m 4x2. For noggins. 40no 3.2m4x2 for rafters depending on pitch. And at least 10no 4.8m 6x2 for joists. 40ft of 6x1 for ridge. Batons for roof and bracing.

Clear As mud and no plans required. I'm up for helping you out with plans if needed, but if you can get the gist of what I'm saying above then no plans required. PM if you need anything.

James

Edited by muttley9050

There is loads on the net about sheds

And free plans 25 Free Shed Plans

There are also loads of pictures to give you ideas.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shed+construction+plans&rlz=1C1CHFX_enGB521GB521&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-4ULU472L-WO7AbL0IGAAg&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=618

Borrow a nail gun it speeds it up.

I made roof trusses reinforced with plywood gussets, make them on top of each other so they are all the same, learn what a "purlin" is, fix roofing sheets to purlins not rafters.

Clad in feather edge, and don't discount using corrugated sheet on the roof.

I have used 3x2 CLS in the past and insulated with 60mm Celotex.

Build as big as you can they always fill up fast.

H-A

If you want a nice sturdy shed, then plans ain't too difficult. Firstly decide on what and where for doors and windows. Then source or make the correct frames. Stand the door frames up where you want them and Plumb them up. Keeping them uptight and safe with some scaffold planks with nails in the end hooked over the top with weight on the bottom. Use 4x2for frame, laying a sole plate on the floor first and fixing to concrete. Corners should be half housed. Next make a copy of the sole plate for the roof plate. Only difference is no gaps for doors. Put roof plate to side and start framing. One stud every 2ft. Start on one corner. Fix corner stud at bottom, fix stud at other end of plate. Then fit plate. Fill in gaps and continue round till complete. Not forgetting windows. Fit noggins mid height in studs. Use 4x2 for rafters, if you tell me roof pitch I'll tell you exact rafter length. Again every 600. Use 6x2 for ceiling joists at every other rafter. This is a solid shed. If storage is wanted in eaves then put more ceiling joists in. Extra timber may be needed above doors and windows depending on size.

Basic cutting list.

220ft of 4x2 for roof and sole plate.

52no 2.4m 4x2 for studs. 13no 2.4m 4x2. For noggins. 40no 3.2m4x2 for rafters depending on pitch. And at least 10no 4.8m 6x2 for joists. 40ft of 6x1 for ridge. Batons for roof and bracing.

Clear As mud and no plans required. I'm up for helping you out with plans if needed, but if you can get the gist of what I'm saying above then no plans required. PM if you need anything.

James

Looks like good advise :001_smile:

I am interested in what you come up with I need some extra covered space. Dont really need sides but thinking built on skids so it can be moved or taken with when we move. I would like it to be big enough for two vehicles. I will post pics of plans etc if I get into it 16ft wide and 19ft deep would be ideal.

Plans :confused1: just plan it in your head...we have nearly finished a huge pole barn with enclosed sides for a wagon and 2 other sheds for drying logs. telegraph poles, plywood sheets some decent timbers to span the roof insulated roof sheets for the roof and uninstalled ones for the sides. I cant work to a plan i like to wing it :thumbup: