Other ventures????????????

skyhuck

I have been running my own tree firm for around 15 years now, a few years ago I grew my business and ran two gangs, not good, I think in this game the best lads tend to start there own firm, and who can blame them. So you can end up with the not so good :thumbdown: (this is only my experience and I in no way wish to offend any employees)

Any way I came to the conclusion that trying to get staff who would do the job the way I wanted and would not take the piss was near impossible.

So what I have been wondering about is setting up a separate less skilled business that would be easy to staff and would give a decent return.

My wife does not work and we have always lived on what I bring in, we have a good standard of life, but it would be nice to get something else going to bring in some more income.

I have wondered about grass cutting or fire wood.

I just wondered if any of you guys had done anything similar and how it had worked out??

Cheers Dave :001_smile:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean Skyhuck....

Not sure how it would work but sounds a good idea to me.

I was thinking about getting a squad of guys together to supply just labour to the forest and agriculture industries which would warrant the gangmasters license, even for simple stuff like planting or weed pulling, spraying, picking etc.

I always had the concern that if I was ill or injured the income would stop and we'd be stuffed.

Our lass brought up the kids but now they're old enough to look after themselves she has gone out, got a degree and is now working as a renal nurse.

Anything you can think of as a back up make sure your lass could run it just in case. I've always been fairly careful and although I haven't two pennies to rub together I have assetts to pay off things should the worst happen.

Im quite lucky aswell, my lass is a ward sister in Leeds and earns quite good money, both kids are at school and we can servive without me bringing that much in (just basic living mind) Always good to have another iron in the fire though, from what i know Dave re the grass cutting from guys that do it is that to make good money you need to be doing LOTS of it, a bit like the fire wood thing really, try doing a bit of landscaping as i do with a guy round me, Lots of irons in lots of fires, you soon find what works and what don't.

by your stack of timber im very suprised you dont do fire wood dave... I think its quite profitable especially if your not buying in timber!

Yes, its just the H&S side of things, having lads in the yard cutting while I'm out the yard.

And the inevitable call saying the tractor won't start or the pumps started making a noise and I've just noticed there is oil all over the floor:thumbdown:

its the employing part that is hard dave. grass cutting is ok until it rains, i did it for years and ran a squad. lets say you start 2 guys, and supply a vehicle with trailer. and by some lawnmowers and a strimmer. you will have to find 5k at least for some not so great kit and wages will be easy 500 a week, fuel 150 quid and then your is insurance and other stuff. i wreckon you need a grand a week just to break even. unless you are the main worker doing the jobs of 3 men it isnt worth it, pretty much like doing trees. if you are rural, and can stick a chalet in the garden, or some kind of self contained unit. you could do 300quid a week easy. i thought of doing a 4x4 offroad unimog trip if i moved to aviemore. or take city slickers tree climbing. but the whole spoon feeding numpties isnt my thing and i dont think its yours mate.

I have been running my own tree firm for around 15 years now, a few years ago I grew my business and ran two gangs, not good, I think in this game the best lads tend to start there own firm, and who can blame them. So you can end up with the not so good :thumbdown: (this is only my experience and I in no way wish to offend any employees)

Any way I came to the conclusion that trying to get staff who would do the job the way I wanted and would not take the piss was near impossible.

So what I have been wondering about is setting up a separate less skilled business that would be easy to staff and would give a decent return.

My wife does not work and we have always lived on what I bring in, we have a good standard of life, but it would be nice to get something else going to bring in some more income.

I have wondered about grass cutting or fire wood.

I just wondered if any of you guys had done anything similar and how it had worked out??

Cheers Dave :001_smile:

logs can be very time consuming !! even with a processer , i try & stick to the trade they come to the yard for them loads less hassel