stress

we live our life in Patterns, if you feel you cant get ahead then you need to change something. Take a break, a few days of chilling can really clear your mind and help you focus

well siad Steve - time to reflect is in most cases is something in this industry we do not get alot of time to do . I took a leaf out of Steves book a year ago and quite simlply ditched a contract = less stress , less running abut like a fool and more time to think about what im doing . :thumbup:

i think i have it easy work wise when hear of all the stress most of you self employed people have,i think i suffer from some sort of stress as spend every 3rd week dredding my injection for cronic neutropenia that have at a weekend because the side affects are not good been sick fever/chill for a day so couldnt work ,but things are always put in to perspective when see and hear of all the much more serious things that happen to people .

I had depression as a kid - family inter-wars with me in the middle. It came out again when my 1st marriage failed very draining - pills don't work. I had work related stress from excessive hospital work pressure + probs at home so was off work for 6 months 10 yrs ago, in the end you have to work through it, I found solace in the woods - there is very little help. The 'trick' is to identify the problems and act. The good side now sorted I can spot symptoms in others like when my son was in primary school and 'bullied' by a teacher, the same problem you are trapped in a situation and need a way out, so we moved schools and he picked up to normal.

One problem for leading to stress situations is as 'hard working' types we tend to take on too much, if I start to have sleep probs I know it's time to act. I now try to plan jobs to have a 'start-middle-end' to avoid overlap and reversed the old contractor saying of 'think of a price and double it', I now 'think of a time and double it' this gives me an over run allowance. So you do the same job finish at the same time but feel alot better.:thumbup1:

I use it on my Laptop not my Ipad, but they may do an Ipad version. I think it's based for colleges and can do loads more than I need, but it helps me get a plan from my head to a screen. This is a screen shot of mine.

[ATTACH]76423[/ATTACH]

Here's a link to a clip about it, and you can get a free 30 day trial.

Inspiration Video

I have used something for the last 15 years called Time and chaos I just did a search and its still out there free. A brilliant easy to use package that has a to do list. I print them off and when getting out of date bin them. I totally empty my mind and just follow the list and change priority if needed according to the weather. If it does not get done it either was not a priority or I did not have the time simples. :thumbup1:

• 1 month later...

Here I am again, back in the Stress thread. This time it sneaked up in a different form. In a nutshell, I gave up smoking (a lot!!) 20ish weeks ago. I was given Champix to kill the cravings. They did. I then re-acted to the Champix with some nasty side effects. I stopped taking the Champix. My body then goes into shock due to the lack of Champix (should be weaned off really, but the side effects were scary) Just been back to the doctors today and he tells me that all this upheaval has put my body and mind under severe stress, and its rebelling. So here I'm sitting, working one day on, one day off, trying to cope with a workload and yet not able to work, yet wondering how the bills will be paid if I dont pull my finger out. Its a vicious circle this stress stuff. Do I regret quitting the smokes? not at all, but in all honesty I actually feel less healthy now than I have ever felt in my life.

Andy, this is an excerpt from a "thought for the day" kinda book I sometimes read in the morning. It came to mind as I read your thread. Vicious circles are just that - vicious. I can think of many whose for example, machine breaks down requiring a mega expensive repair. They can't afford it so work stops; to resume the work the machine needs repaired and so on and so on.

Sometime life doesn't just seem so hard, it flippin' is...

Anyway, here's the ecerpt:

...before you experience a breakthrough there's usually a shake-up. Chuck Jaeger, the World War II hero who broke the sound barrier, fractured his ribs in a horse-riding accident the day before he hopped into the cockpit and attempted to do what had never been done with a plane before. His friends said, 'You're in too much pain. Don't do it.' His fears told him, 'Nobody's ever done it before. You won't either.' At 700 miles an hour the plane began to shake violently. Then suddenly he broke through into what he described as 'a great calm'. That's how it is when you're about to experience a breakthrough. When everything around you starts to shake and your fear level skyrockets, you're not about to crash and burn, you're on the threshold of a breakthrough!

Sounds like a tough time you just have to go through Andy and after a while things should get back to normal. How about doing say 4 hours a day rather than one day on one off? .... may not be practical.

I know what you mean ref money though - it doesn't buy happiness but lack of it can cause unhappiness! I have a couple of new projects on the go at the moment and I can feel the weight of debt starting to hang over me a little.....

Just got to keep up with positive reinforcement to yourself. May not feel like it does anything but I'm sure being persistent with this helps.