MEWP Usage

David Humphries

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the huge beech hedge gets cut back every year from a platform, it takes a team 2 weeks to do i think. a few years back they reduced it by approx 20feet. anyone who hasnt seen this hedge up close should make a point of it, very impressive indeed.

Cheers Stevie.

It certainly is mightily impressive in the flesh.

the huge beech hedge gets cut back every year from a platform, it takes a team 2 weeks to do i think. a few years back they reduced it by approx 20feet. anyone who hasnt seen this hedge up close should make a point of it, very impressive indeed.

Think they actually do it every five years with a big truck mount MEWP and traffic lights.The fire brigade used to do it but it got too high so now a contractor does it.Looks like its due soon last time i passed.:001_smile:

We've been hiring a Hinawa, I think its called, the same people who make the under carriage for the Jensen tracked chippers. 19m tracked very versatile machine but outreach could be better. Very wobbly compared to other mewps, but then it is 19m and weighs 2.1tonne.

Photo044.jpg.0115579bcf347be98b289731ae58b280.jpg

I have used a MEWP twice in about the last 9-10 (before that loads for another contractor) years, once on a hedge that couldnt be done by climbing (it really couldnt the laws of physics are on my side here) and another when I couldnt be bothered to climb :001_smile:

Although priced a few other jobs that required a MEWP but they never got done:confused1:

I have been using MEWPs for tree work for 10 years - and hiring them out for the last 2 years. We managed to do most arb ops successfully by adapting the method of work to suit the machinery - you have to think and work a bit differently to capitalise on the machine's strengths. Trouble is that you need more than one machine - you always need bigger than you imagine- to work safely.We have four different units from 16-18-23m on tracks, and a 17m truck mount for highways work. The bigger local firms - Chelt Tree Services, Tree Maintenance, Bartletts etc all use our kit from time to time, rather than buy their own.... MEWPs don't replace a climber but they do make commercial sense on the right job.