MEWP Usage

David Humphries

That is exactly the point, this job shouldn't be. Maybe in days gone by, but with all the equipment we have at our disposal, there is now no need to risk your life, because it is your life we are talking about.

Does any one know of anyone who has had a tree fail under them?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So no-one has had a tree fail under them that we know of, that means we can just climb as we please cos it'll never happen.

A freind of mine was killed 8 years ago when a branch broke out of a tree whilst taking it down, he was doing groundie, it broke his neck and crushed several vertibrae, he died instantly.

I'm sure if we did a google of tree related fatalities we could find something for you.

Come on Skyhuck, give some ground, you can't tbe that stubborn to not admit you have not had an arse twitcher of a job.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr123.pdf

If you have not already, i suggest everybody makes themselves familiar with the above link.

I am not making any generalising comments as to whether or not this should or does effect us all, my suggestion is; read the facts then decide for yourselves.

I will say however that MEWP usage as discussed in this thread, is appearing to be determined too often by profit margins alone rather than Risk Assessment.

Safety should be and surely is the overidding issue, whether it be Multi National, Local Authority or Struggling Small Arb Firm.

Be totaly aware of why you should be using a MEWP in the first place. Make counting the costs your second factor, in deciding whether or not to use.

Businesses are supposed to be about making money, not just taking the easy option every time. Maybe you should start thinking about your profits, posting messages on here at 11.19am on a Tuesday morning!! you not got enough to do?