Tips on cleaning cylinder fins

wisewood

What bio oil are you using?

I use the STIHL stuff and it's very runny. I don't do carving so i'm probally not going to have the same issues as your self. If you use the plant oil brand bio oil its like glue. I mean it's seriously sticky stuff. Try changing brand see if it makes it any better.

Have you tried just regular veg oil?

I find WD40 and stiff brush cleans most things....

Hi,

It's Super tac bio oil from Clarkes.

apart from caking up the pot exterior it acts like synthetic bar oil.

Not got an answer. Was considering going to bio chain oil but I'd rather not having read through this thread. Thanks for bringing up the subject, it's saved my a lot of trouble.

I would have thought there would be more info on this tbh. These products must have been trialled before going out on the mass market.

As it's only my carving saw that is gunked up I can only guess that it's because the saw is being used in positions abnormal to usual saw use.

You may be ok with it if just felling and ringing up.

Here is what I did, its a bit of a faff but it got results.

Scrape off the worst of it and mix a bit of Hydrochloric Acid with wallpaper paste. Paint it in to the fins with a small brush, wait for it to fizz then rinse off DPQ with plenty of water, repeat as needed.

It will bring the fins back to clean bare metal but don't get it anywhere it shouldn't be, wear gloves, eye protection and don't breathe the fumes in

• 2 months later...
Here is what I did, its a bit of a faff but it got results.

Scrape off the worst of it and mix a bit of Hydrochloric Acid with wallpaper paste. Paint it in to the fins with a small brush, wait for it to fizz then rinse off DPQ with plenty of water, repeat as needed.

It will bring the fins back to clean bare metal but don't get it anywhere it shouldn't be, wear gloves, eye protection and don't breathe the fumes in

Here is the stuff in action

first picture a concrete encrusted wheelbarrow wheel out a skip. Brushed in acid. Its starting to react.

2nd picture,less than 5 minutes later. New looking wheel

sec

IMG_0046.jpg.79db6977dff264fc9e67d4d4d26f25ca.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg.74aac0f7f024b00561d7e0c937b93d4b.jpg

Here is the stuff in action

first picture a concrete encrusted wheelbarrow wheel out a skip. Brushed in acid. Its starting to react.

2nd picture,less than 5 minutes later. New looking wheel

sec

My names Barry Scott, Hydrochloric Bang......bang and the shyte is gone:thumbup::lol:

I use rapeseed to good effect. It's not as thin as other veggie oil, and not quite as thick as the bio stuff. I actually think the tackifier they use in bio oil(which is up to 98% rapeseed) causes more issues than it solves. Regular rapeseed works fine for me.

I use the Husqvarna stuff and get a bit of a tarry chain but that's all. The rest of the saws is fine. It looks like the problem is very brand-dependent.

What I do hate is sap from sitka spruce on my saws. Awful stuff.

The answer to both issues, by the way, is Sticky Stuff Remover, available from Lakeland Ltd. It's a citrus-based cleaner - works wonders. Also great for removing the residue from sticky labels. Every house should have a bottle.