Arb truck weights and configuration

Shane

It would be interesting to know what the individual weights of axle one and two are. A one ton payload sort of defeats the need for greedy boards.

Bob

With the normal double rear wheel ford 350s you have a gross weight of 2450 on the rear axle and 1750 on the front so you have a fair amount of latitude for loading the back but as you will see these two weights add to over 3500 so with a lot of kit in the front the double cab can exceed the front axle rating.

Our single cab tippers with steel body weigh in at 2100kg empty, the double cab is 150kg more. Add three guys with their kit, say 300kg...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can pretty much ignore whatever the payload is on a crewcab truck. For example, lets say you weight up the completed truck and it comes in at 2.5t you would think that you have a 1t payload, which isn't necessarily the case. Its all about weight distribution unfortunately..so whilst techically you have a 1t overall payload, the reality is you're going to throw the font axels overweight far easier on a crew cab than a single cab...and when it comes to Vosa, thats all important

Rear axle surely?

The extra cabin space puts the load bed further back and thus the load directly over the rear axle.

I once had to drive a LDV double cab linktip body with a read axle capacity of 500kg, the front axle still had most of its capacity.

Edited by treequip

Rear axle surely?

The extra cabin space puts the load bed further back and thus the load directly over the rear axle.

I once had to drive a LDV double cab linktip body with a read axle capacity of 500kg, the front axle still had most of its capacity.

Nope, I had this discussion with Vosa at the side of the road when they pulled me for being over weight. I asked him about double cabs, he said they are nearly always over on the front axle when they get pulled. Also the advice he gave me for loading was to slope the load downwards...starting from the back of the tipper up towards the cab.

Steve, a bit confused here (slope the load downwards...starting from the back of the tipper up towards the cab) - did the VOSA bloke say the deepest part of the load should be at the back by the tailgate, then slope downwards towards the front?

(I guess it must be if we are trying to reduce the load at the front).

If so can the chipper designers come up with clever reverse-bias form of chute to achieve this.

Nope, I had this discussion with Vosa at the side of the road when they pulled me for being over weight. I asked him about double cabs, he said they are nearly always over on the front axle when they get pulled. Also the advice he gave me for loading was to slope the load downwards...starting from the back of the tipper up towards the cab.

Well the man is entitled to his opinion but the facts just don't stack up that way.

The engine and gearbox are a fixed load primarily on the front axle. The remainder of the load is men at about 100kg per unit or saws at a lot less per unit. The remainder of the cabin is weightless fresh air, its difficult to put more weight on the front axle.

Back in the day I was tasked to check the axle loadings on the vehicles an LA tree gang was using. We couldn't get the 3500kg crew cab to overload on the front axle but the rear was only fit to carry the TM kit, couldn't even carry a small rayco grinder.

The load bed is a lot further back than is would be on a single cab even with the longer wheelbase they often have. The load on the back is over and often beyond the centre of the back axle, that's fine for a light load but not very good for tree work.

If I were looking to cause mischief I would have given someone the advice you got.