water wet not sap wet

sandy2210

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

water wet logs will dry out much quicker than sap wet logs, so just stack them in the dry and wait.

That may be so, and I'd like to see some empirical evidence of this as I have not tried drying re wetted logs, but as far as the fire is concerned Steven is correct in that the same amount of energy is robbed from the fire to vaporise the moisture.

That may be so, and I'd like to see some empirical evidence of this as I have not tried drying re wetted logs, but as far as the fire is concerned Steven is correct in that the same amount of energy is robbed from the fire to vaporise the moisture.

I have green fresh cut timber and well seasoned but rained on timber . When the wind gets up and ( if ) the sun comes out the old stuff drys out in a few days where as the green wood still needs a couple of years . My experience anyway ......:001_smile:

Talking creosote - been reading alot on american firewood forums - and they claim that air dried pine cut split and stacked for 2+years hardly gives any creosote - which is good to know and really kicks the teeth of the DO NOT BURN SOFTWOOD mentality which we have been fed with.

to OP - cut and restack in a dry location - if its staying in the barn rig up som tarps above with plenty of air gaps above the stacks AND slant it tent style off the sides as they will sweat some whilst drying off.

Green wood is still alive with all living cells holding water and it's not until the cells die will the wood start to dry.

I would guess more energy would be needed to burn green wood than dead re-wetted wood weight for weight, so therefore greater risk of creosote accumulations with green wood. :confused1:

Green wood is still alive with all living cells holding water and it's not until the cells die will the wood start to dry.

I would guess more energy would be needed to burn green wood than dead re-wetted wood weight for weight, so therefore greater risk of creosote accumulations with green wood. :confused1:

Makes sense to me.. But if you burn it hot you shouldn't have any problems , just a reduction in efficiency. It seems to me it might become an issue when you do a slow burn.