Everyday sexism?

Marko

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm see why it might cause offence to some, and equally why most men don't mind at all. I don't mean that as a cop out, it's probably good to have a discussion about how far can the advert go before it is offensive? It's something advertisers need to consider, would you have that advert on your business card/side of your tree surgery van?

It's one of those images that just passes under my radar, we are that used to having images of women attached to products that, half the time I don't even notice, unless it's those pictures of the women holding the chainsaws. That catches my eye.

I just don't think the advert or the image is any good, it looks cheap and it could cause offence. I think it would be far better get a chainsaw sculptor to recreate a far more beautiful and image of a woman to demonstrate the quality of the bars.

I'm see why it might cause offence to some, and equally why most men don't mind at all. I don't mean that as a cop out, it's probably good to have a discussion about how far can the advert go before it is offensive? It's something advertisers need to consider, would you have that advert on your business card/side of your tree surgery van?

It's one of those images that just passes under my radar, we are that used to having images of women attached to products that, half the time I don't even notice, unless it's those pictures of the women holding the chainsaws. That catches my eye.

I just don't think the advert or the image is any good, it looks cheap and it could cause offence. I think it would be far better get a chainsaw sculptor to recreate a far more beautiful and image of a woman to demonstrate the quality of the bars.

Good post, thought behind your reasoning:thumbup1:

Talk about light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance...

The bulk of comment rails against anyone finding it offensive. To be clear (in my view) the ad isn't offensive. I asked was it APPROPRIATE. The two words are not interchangeable.

A few picks to keep the fires burning....

You know the stupidity of half the people on here amazes me!

SEXISM - discrimination against a gender

DISCRIMINATION - using a perceived weakness against someone, be it sex, sexual orientation, skin colour, age, religious beliefs, etc

Somebody explain how it's sexist? Does it imply that as she's a woman she can't use a chainsaw?

Sexual exploitation is a more accurate description, as it's managed to get everyone talking about naked women and sugihara bars.

The full quote might have answered your own question -

sex·ism

1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.

2. Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.

the everyday sexism project"The Everyday Sexism Project exists to catalogue instances of sexism experienced by women on a day to day basis. They might be serious or minor, outrageously offensive or so niggling and normalised that you don’t even feel able to protest."

Ok, placing my "Mods" hat carefully in the corner for a minute.

This world has gone mad. Stark raving bonkers. It's now more "PC" for two males to walk down the high street holding hands and kissing one another, than to have an image of a female (with a nice figure) in an advert. Even real people voluntarily disrobe and stand in front of a camera for £££. They do it because they can earn good money. No one holds a gun to their head, they want to do it. I was a child in the 70s, there was a lot wrong with things back then but blimey it was a Much freer society than this oppressive world we live in today. Constantly having to mind what you say in case you offend someone for stating the obvious. What a beige world it is now, bland boring and very beige. If you don't want to see something, then don't look at it, if it offends, ignore it. It's like being smothered by a well -meaning aunt. :001_rolleyes:

Hat back on now.

Andy, despite getting a lot off your chest you didn't actually give a view on whether you think it is appropriate to Arbtalk.

Here is a picture of me to redress that balance, feast your eyes Marko!
Tom, nice of you to share something from your own private collection but it really is not up my street. Best to keep it for your other forums. :001_smile:

This advert is not using sex to sell.
:confused1:

HI ALL i must SAY THIS IT ALL GOOD FOR ROB D ALL GOOD FOR TRADE WELL DONE ROB D :thumbup1:
As always, you are quite right Jon. Rob owes me big time! :001_smile:

Learn to complain about what is important in our lives.
Of course there are many many more important things going on in the world but if we applied that logic no threads would exist. Is a fungi ident more important an things kicking off in the Ukraine? In any case it wasn't a complaint, it was an observation. Arbtalk is one of the very few forums where some semblance of standards are upheld. I for one would not like to see that change.

Banter between members is one thing and the Mods have the unenviable task of trying to keep the peace. However, the Banner Adverts set the tone for the whole site and I, for one, was surprised to see this getting through. I fully accept that I might be in the minority but just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

This thread seems to have run it's course now. The minority that find it inappropriate can still go about their lives. If something as petty as this winds anyone up to the extent that they leave the site, I'd suggest the problem lies with them.

The clue to it having run its course is in the post prior to yours....:001_smile:

And we All wonder why the country - even the world has gone to pot....

They could advertise their bars anyway they want...lives not fair get use to it and move on.

Some of the atrocities going on in the world and people are bitching and whining about that.!!!!!!!!!!!

Grow up, go and make some money and have a nice life.