How long does mixed fuel last?

Woodworks

Reading the thread "My sob story" and hear that stale fuel can scour the cylinder and pot. To be honest I had no idea stale fuel could cause this much damage. I am using Stihl HP oil at the moment. I have no known problems to date but not striped down my saws to check.

So how long can I leave it before ditching it? Do any oils give you more time?

And yes I know I could Aspen but the price is a killer as far as I am concerned.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading the thread "My sob story" and hear that stale fuel can scour the cylinder and pot. To be honest I had no idea stale fuel could cause this much damage. I am using Stihl HP oil at the moment. I have no known problems to date but not striped down my saws to check.

And yes I know I could Aspen but the price is a killer as far as I am concerned.

Hi Woodworks,

Most manufacturers recommend that fuel over 30 days in not used.

Stabilizers will slow the breakdown of the fuel but if you read the back of the bottle you would not want to breath it in and you have to remember to add it in the correct amount to every can of fuel.

Yes Aspen is more money than pump fuel but if you used Aspen in large amounts your dealer would give you a discount and your fuel can be delivered to your door at no extra charge.

Aspen will keep for 3-5 years and we guarantee the mix as every container has a number on it. How much is the repair or replacement of your kit to the extra cost of Aspen over pump fuel?

Kind regards

Eddie

Any fuel that does not get used in the month gets thrown out I also will not use supermarket fuel as it seems very low quality. I put aspen in the 660 as it does not get used regular enough and I would rather pay the extra than pay for a new saw. I plan to use aspen more in this year and reflect it in the price.

Would be interested to find out how using aspen helps the environment as a lot of the bigger firms are always asking about carbon footprint:001_smile:

pump fuel finished of the fuel lines and diaphrams in my husky pole pruner. So rebuilt carb and thought it would be a good test for the litre bottle of aspen I was given at the apf show 3 years ago. The saw starts better smells better and cant feel any difference in performance success so far and the fuel is 3 years old :thumbup:

I've used 6 month old fuel mix (supermarket fuel, and the petrol had been sitting in the petrol can for a year or more before mixing) without problem. (Give it a good shake before fuelling saw, obviously).

Having said that, I'm only an occasional chainsaw user, so it might be that damage is happening but very very slowly... The saw in question is only a Spear and Jackson job, so not the end of the world if it does die in a few years, but it suits my needs very well.

I've used 6 month old fuel mix (supermarket fuel, and the petrol had been sitting in the petrol can for a year or more before mixing) without problem. (Give it a good shake before fuelling saw, obviously).

Having said that, I'm only an occasional chainsaw user, so it might be that damage is happening but very very slowly... The saw in question is only a Spear and Jackson job, so not the end of the world if it does die in a few years, but it suits my needs very well.

How does shaking it change anything apart from mixing the two stroke oil again once petrol starts to breakdown there is no going back. :001_smile:

I was doing it to mix the 2-stroke oil back in again! (That was my concern, not the breakdown of the petrol or the oil).

Didn't see any signs of the petrol breaking down, and the saw ran as normal...

Out of interest, does the petrol break down on its own, or when mixed with 2 stroke? Or both? Or...?

HI WOOD old fuel like you said can be a night mere i for would tip 2lt away. then put into a saw. i try and only keep it 2 week at the max 3 week and i use STIHL HP and it been good for me now going over to stihl green stuff thanks mate jon :thumbup: