Today's reduction from team JB

ben blackman

I think everyone works in there own way it doesn't always mean its wrong just not how you would do it, I've never had a complaint yet. Everyone has there own opinion. If someone done a reduction like acg128 in my garden I would make them redo it (my opinion)

It does when there's british standards for tree work and the one in your photo is not following any of them....my tree officers would never give you permission to work on a tree again if you did that around here unless there was an extremely good reason and never in my working life would I sell that as a reduction or pollard,its a hat rack topping job plain and simple.

Check some shigo books to explain why, a guide to modern arboriculture is a good start.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone works in there own way it doesn't always mean its wrong just not how you would do it, I've never had a complaint yet. Everyone has there own opinion. If someone done a reduction like acg128 in my garden I would make them redo it (my opinion)

Welcome to the forum Ben I hope you do not get offended easily and stick around.

You have to understand this is our Trade and we are passionate about it and do not like to see what is poor work, it is bad for us all.

Like I said do not take offence, I cannot claim to off only does the best for a tree myself.

we;ve probably all done 'reductions' we wouldn't have been proud of and sometimes it's the only way. I'm sure you are chuffed to have climbed that tree and been able to reach all the branches. Sometimes you are continuing someone elses work and sometimes you are at the mercy of cyclical maintenance or customer specifications. but it looks awful 2 years down the line. Not at all like a free growing tree. Best to take the advice given on here - it will make you a better arborist. Have a chat with your boss/ read some books on the subject and read through this forum and you'll start to understand.

Plus I won't have to drive round all winter cringing at 1 year regrowth on basin cut trees.:biggrin:

Hi Ben,

You may feel that your copping some flack on your thread but my fellow Arbtalkers are just trying to point you in the right direction (in there own way).

Please follow this link and it will explain why the work you have done is not in line with current British Standards for tree work.

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/topping.aspx

Unfortunately the vast majority of the general public don't know good tree care from bad tree care but as professional arborists we should trying to explain to clients why a thinning or reduction is better for both the tree and them rather than doing a top & lop job.

If you have not done any college courses in tree care (other than for tickets), I would highly recommend that you look into doing one or at least read a book or two to self-learn.

An illustrated guide to Pruning by Edward Gilman would be a good place to start.

It does when there's british standards for tree work and the one in your photo is not following any of them....my tree officers would never give you permission to work on a tree again if you did that around here unless there was an extremely good reason and never in my working life would I sell that as a reduction or pollard,its a hat rack topping job plain and simple.

Check some shigo books to explain why, a guide to modern arboriculture is a good start.

I am going to take exception to that statement (pruning standards notwithstanding)

Firstly the consent applies to the tree not the person and secondly, while some conditions can be legitimately applied the TPO legislation simply does not have the power to say who can and or cannot prune a tree.

What point are you trying to make ? Read your app one forms

Your post gives the impression that the tree officer gets to decide who does the work and has the power to withhold consent if they don't like the way you do things.

They don't, its a planning application, they cant tell you who can build your extension and the cant tell you who cuts the tree.

When you say "app one" do you mean one app? Does it say on the form that the tree officer has these powers? I think not

No tree quip it does not and I stand corrected as usual by you :) no they don't but they will make your life hard or they will say no you can not reduced that tree by 36% or what ever you have put in for ....but always when I have my consent forms returned it say all works to be carried out to BS 3998.

I am going to take exception to that statement (pruning standards notwithstanding)

Firstly the consent applies to the tree not the person and secondly, while some conditions can be legitimately applied the TPO legislation simply does not have the power to say who can and or cannot prune a tree.

Nothing stopping a tree officer declining an application made my a certain individual, without stating thats the reason. I think thats what Matty was getting at