Saw for new groundy

jwilson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, small fell is up to 15" or 380mm in dia, 550xp is a stonking saw with a 15" a 560xp is An animal with a 15", and you could have an 18 " for it :) depending on who is training some trainers would let you use an 18 inch but the assessment schedual recommends a 15"

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I wouldn't bother with the heated handles. I had it on a 550 and found it never really gets cold enough in this country to warrant it (maybe -25 in Sweden it would be good). Just extra money and extra weight.

I've now got a 560xp with 15" bar (3/8 sprocket) and a 20" bar to put on if needed. Puts a smile on your face!

I'm gonna say that it is the best saw anyone has made in the history of saws. It's that good.

Sent using Arbtalk mobile app

If yer a big guy with a good budget, I would go with the 560. If ya want to save weight, a 550 or 346xp would do. For cheap and light, but still pro quality, Shindaiwa 452s are pretty good lil saws, and weigh nearly nothing, and do alright with a muff mod. Same can be said for an Echo 500ES, if they are still around. It was a bored out 502s/452s to 50cc. Both very affordable. A 391 is only suitable for holding down the shed floor.

Edited by wyk

Get a pro stihl or husky without auto tune .. Unless you have loads of experience snedding and felling I would go with a basic stihl or non auto tune husky, untill you get your confidence up and can go ripping it up with a fire snorting 550 or 560 as they need to be ran hard and will not run right unless reved flat out and with a good chain.

I would like to add that you can have the best saw in the world but if you can't sharpen it properly its a complete waste of time and money ..I have seen a vast majority of saw ops who can't sharpen a saw or diagnose what it needs to keep optimum cutting abilities then complain ..