Saw for new groundy

jwilson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMO, learn using a file guide and once you've got used to the correct angle and depth just use the file without guide.

Once you get the hang of it you should find you can get a chain like a razor within a few minuets.

My son was taught how to had sharpen on his weeks saw course, he is doing just fine and its does not take him long to do his 550.

Its a great skill to have and much quicker than messing about with electric grinders.

Hi guys just wondering what is the best way to sharpen a saw? Using a stihl 4 in 1 file guide or an electric chain sharpener ?

Cheers

Neither, learn to sharpen with a naked file.

It isn't difficult and should take you about an hour to learn how.

Once you have the skill you will always be able to sharpen a saw.

If you are dependant on aids, one day you might not have one and then you will HAVE to start learning how to sharpen without it.

Better to learn now than later.

Horses for courses. As a newly qualified 30/31 there is still lots to learn about using a saw..If you have a good mentor then fine but if you are looking to find your own way I would personally get a good solid saw like a 260. Find one second hand and learn to sharpen by hand. As you get more confident I think you will be able to answer your own questions about going auto tune and bar size. As posted in this thread saw sizes are very dependant on type of job. For ground work as a general purpose rig I always pick up my 260 on a 16 bar. I have got a couple and just find they are bullet proof old school with good grunt. I wouldn't personally look much further. And without doubt sharpen by hand. Its therapeutic !!

He has you to guide him though Dave :)

Oh I don't know about that :001_rolleyes:

Who wants their old man telling how to do things, I try to let him find his own way of doing things (obviously watching to see he's safe) ofter his saw training he told me I was doing it all wrong :lol:

I'm a big believer in every one having different ways of doing things, you need to find a way thats works best for you, we are all different.

When my dad was an apprentice joiner an old boy told him "theres 99 ways of doing a job right and only one way of doing it wrong":thumbup1:

Thanks for the info guys how do I file the rakers and know if I'm taking to much of them or not ?

You get a tool that sits over the teeth, you just file them down to the top of the tool, or just do it by eye, you want them 25 thou (thickness of a thumbnail) bellow the teeth, do one counting the file strokes, then give each one the same number of strokes.

You get a tool that sits over the teeth, you just file them down to the top of the tool, or just do it by eye, you want them 25 thou (thickness of a thumbnail) bellow the teeth, do one counting the file strokes, then give each one the same number of strokes.

That applies for 3/8p, .325 and 3/8 chain, your best bet is referring to the manufacturers info (found on the box the chain comes in, or in the saws operator instruction book)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App