Free Firewood

WillTimberlake

Well that's life, that's like saying you wanna go fill your trolly at Asda but don't want to pay what it costs. Bit of a poor attitude towards log sellers really.

I agree! Everybody wants free timber nowadays, I think people think we get the wood for free, they don't realise the effort that goes in to doing firewood.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you dont ask you wont get. PM your contact number to me and I will add you to my book of timber dumps:)

This was posted a while ago http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/64490-my-husband-said-i-should-wait.html So I chucked off a few sticks in passing and picked up a mug of tea,a dozen eggs and some nice apples. It worked for both of us.

Bob

Shall we stop this before it becomes another argument on arbtalk?

Yes it was a silly Comment for someone to make , I offered the wood before I saw it... However everyone makes mistakes ..... Firewood costs a lot Produce , we all know that... Most customers know that. Rather than slating them educate him /her?

Edited by Adam

If you dont ask you wont get. PM your contact number to me and I will add you to my book of timber dumps:)

This was posted a while ago http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/64490-my-husband-said-i-should-wait.html So I chucked off a few sticks in passing and picked up a mug of tea,a dozen eggs and some nice apples. It worked for both of us.

Bob

Well said.:thumbup1:

Bob

The great barter system! Can't beat it!! Everyone one (except those that shall not be mentioned) get a slice of cake :thumbup:

I am in a similar position to the original poster I run my log burner on " Free wood " in my case its (in my opinion) a mutually beneficial system. I work with a few full time tree surgeon's they drop the tree and deal with the brash (thank god ) and I turn up at the end of the job and get rid of the wood with my pick up and trailer.

I don't sell the wood and only give away any surplus to a few elderly neighbors (I'm starting to sound like a saint lol )

Site is cleaned and left tidy, my only cutting requirements are that the rings are man handler-able and I'm a hefty chap. I am polite and helpful to the customer and to date I have never had any issues

If I did not do this I would be out there competing against you full timers who earn a living at it, I think I'm equipped for the job MS230 for trimming and a husky 372 with a range of bars, large trailer pickup, full PPE and a fair number of take downs under my belt over the years ( farming background ) plus my overheads are minimal.

I would not be doing the large poplar's in the small back terrace's but cherry picking the easy bread and butter jobs, mine would be almost free as all I want is the wood and expenses, so customers would beat a path to my door.

So spare a thought for the " Wood fairies" it can be a win win all round if you have no use for your arb waste.

As a by-product I have on a number of occasions recommended the tree surgeons to people asking me to fell trees which has lead to work for them and wood for me :-)

I am in a similar position to the original poster I run my log burner on " Free wood " in my case its (in my opinion) a mutually beneficial system. I work with a few full time tree surgeon's they drop the tree and deal with the brash (thank god ) and I turn up at the end of the job and get rid of the wood with my pick up and trailer.

I don't sell the wood and only give away any surplus to a few elderly neighbors (I'm starting to sound like a saint lol )

Site is cleaned and left tidy, my only cutting requirements are that the rings are man handler-able and I'm a hefty chap. I am polite and helpful to the customer and to date I have never had any issues

If I did not do this I would be out there competing against you full timers who earn a living at it, I think I'm equipped for the job MS230 for trimming and a husky 372 with a range of bars, large trailer pickup, full PPE and a fair number of take downs under my belt over the years ( farming background ) plus my overheads are minimal.

I would not be doing the large poplar's in the small back terrace's but cherry picking the easy bread and butter jobs, mine would be almost free as all I want is the wood and expenses, so customers would beat a path to my door.

So spare a thought for the " Wood fairies" it can be a win win all round if you have no use for your arb waste.

As a by-product I have on a number of occasions recommended the tree surgeons to people asking me to fell trees which has lead to work for them and wood for me :-)

That's a fair shout! It's just a guess based on what you describe, but it sounds like a rural rather than an urban environment you operate in. Sounds like a mutually agreeable situation as long as there is a trust and reliability relationship between the operative doing the job and the person doing the clear-up, and the customer is aware and content. Everyone wins and the rural nature of barter, mucking-in and cooperation continue. Good on ya!

• 4 weeks later...