Free Firewood

WillTimberlake

I have seen this a few times on hear. Wood given to the public cheap or free. But that member of the public is unlikely to deliver you a cheap loan or sell your house for you free or offer the service they provide in their work. Some of the worst wood fairies I have met live in big houses with two nice cars in the drive. The public get cheap or free wood kills the business of the local log man who buys his cord in at £70 a tonne. If you are a tree surgeon offer it in the firewood forum to members for a small fee. That way its efficiently and safely removed you have not got to cart all of it home and you have a few quid. I have done this with a few members on hear and it seemed to work very well. Perhaps we need to state a fair price per tonne for arb waste so one side is not too greedy and the other to tight.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen this a few times on hear. Wood given to the public cheap or free. But that member of the public is unlikely to deliver you a cheap loan or sell your house for you free or offer the service they provide in their work. Some of the worst wood fairies I have met live in big houses with two nice cars in the drive. The public get cheap or free wood kills the business of the local log man who buys his cord in at £70 a tonne. If you are a tree surgeon offer it in the firewood forum to members for a small fee. That way its efficiently and safely removed you have not got to cart all of it home and you have a few quid. I have done this with a few members on hear and it seemed to work very well. Perhaps we need to state a fair price per tonne for arb waste so one side is not too greedy and the other to tight.

:thumbup1:

I like the idea of this, I give arb waste away to my family but I always have people asking me if I can dump a load whenever in there drive as they know sometimes I just want to empty the truck without driving back to the yard, it still has a value of some sort, it might not stack nicely or fit the processor but its worth something..

I now work for someone 2 days a week on a processor and they have gone into chip production, windblowns used to lay on the estate and if you asked to clear it they would say fill your boots, now they send there own cutters out to collect the wood purely to go through the chipper, I asked the forester about this as they clear decent trees ash / beech ect all just for chip. I was told the subsidy he receives (however it works) means the wood has a decent value just for this reason and as such they couldn't sell it to me??

meaning 2 men employed with tractor and trailer 1 day a week to collect arbwaste just to chip no matter how good :confused1:

anyone able to explain how this works?

the OP clearly states that the wood would be for his own use, if your a tree surgeon that does logs on the side then keep the wood, but to some its a big help for them for someone to just come and pick the wood up, so I don't see the point in slating the guy for asking for something that some people dont want anyway.

the OP clearly states that the wood would be for his own use, if your a tree surgeon that does logs on the side then keep the wood, but to some its a big help for them for someone to just come and pick the wood up, so I don't see the point in slating the guy for asking for something that some people dont want anyway.

I want meaning to slate, I have given wood away to collectors in the past or when its saved a trip back to the yard etc, I see it has its benefits on certain jobs especially when daylight hours are low and you don't have time for a second trip..

I don't think it would do any harm to base the price of arb waste on the price of wood for biomass though?

:thumbup1:

I like the idea of this, I give arb waste away to my family but I always have people asking me if I can dump a load whenever in there drive as they know sometimes I just want to empty the truck without driving back to the yard, it still has a value of some sort, it might not stack nicely or fit the processor but its worth something..

I now work for someone 2 days a week on a processor and they have gone into chip production, windblowns used to lay on the estate and if you asked to clear it they would say fill your boots, now they send there own cutters out to collect the wood purely to go through the chipper, I asked the forester about this as they clear decent trees ash / beech ect all just for chip. I was told the subsidy he receives (however it works) means the wood has a decent value just for this reason and as such they couldn't sell it to me??

meaning 2 men employed with tractor and trailer 1 day a week to collect arbwaste just to chip no matter how good :confused1:

anyone able to explain how this works?

Hi mate it the same here on a large park mate they chip it up loads of money for the park owners mate it goes into there chip boilers mate we tax payers are paying for it thanks Jon