Tree's failing?.....So move the target.

David Humphries

MORE expense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ohmy:

Interestingly, it's only these Donkeys that are doing any damage.

They are new to the enclosure, having been brought in this year as a link back to Victorian times when Donkey rides were a big draw.

The current fallow heard live in harmony with the Trees, apart from browsing.

Will be moving the existing stock fence to the other side of the Trees, to stop the Donkeys access. :001_smile:

5976541116532_GHParkDeer1_31Dec1912.jpg.1cd1f8b2a3fe146f6718c3b7f8498f3d.jpg

DSC00473.jpg.99d132334c2d90dd2442bc3db4adce9b.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason Britain is in such a bad way these days is largely due to a lack of foresight and investment in the future. Short term answers like your felling option is indicative of the lazy mindset that stifles optimism in British culture today.

The best thing about this thread is that you have lost the argument retrospectively as Monkey'd has already implemented his excellent and imaginative management plan for the Oak. No matter how many times you reply in this thread with your negative responses it'll be fruitless unlike Monkeyd's Oak. :cool1:

Calm down Tim!!, its only a forum :wink:

Winning the argument does depend on the action taken, other wise no one would ever do any thing wrong, by your reasoning just doing something makes it right, what nonsense :lol:

As for being forward thinking and investment in the future, the action taken here is all about trying to hang on to the past not the future.

Winning the argument does depend on the action taken, other wise no one would ever do any thing wrong, by your reasoning just doing something makes it right, what nonsense :lol:

The tree is living, it also supports life forms that can live nowhere else. So what is it about that tree you find so unacceptable? Is it the fact that it does not conform to your idea of what a tree should look like?

As for being forward thinking and investment in the future, the action taken here is all about trying to hang on to the past not the future.

By retaining the tree and using the potential thousands of acorns from it to plant new trees you interpret this as hanging onto the past?

By retaining the tree and using the potential thousands of acorns from it to plant new trees you interpret this as hanging onto the past?

We know from the pictures that there are at least three BETTER Oaks on site from which acorns can be sourced, the money saved from not moving the path and fence could have paid for the planting of thousands of them

And I have not even started on that tree's "carbon footprint" from all the work, which could be contributing to a world where NO Oaks can live!!!!!!!!!!:ohmy:

fell it, mill it and make a play park for the kids:001_smile:

Both the fallen oaks ARE a play park for the kids, or at least they should be. Think back to when you were 10, passing those trees without climbing on them would have been impossible. :001_smile:

Something tells me that these days it'd be frowned upon.:mad1:

Both the fallen oaks ARE a play park for the kids, or at least they should be. Think back to when you were 10, passing those trees without climbing on them would have been impossible. :001_smile:

Something tells me that these days it'd be frowned upon.:mad1:

when i was 10 i would of been driving the tractor full of logs after lighting a big bonfire for the branches, as my old man was still logging the trunk:thumbup1:

Here's an episode where we noted a root plate starting to lift on one of a line of Robur and Petrea which are leaning..

We know from the pictures that there are at least three BETTER Oaks on site from which acorns can be sourced, :

What I should have clarified at the start of the thread was the fact that the fallen Oak is a Robur, not Petrea.

We don't have many Robur here, so apart from the fact that this Tree is still alive and 'thriving' it is with a nod to Conservation that we are retaing this locally scarse species.

The Acorns are to be harvested, and of course being of different species, will go on hosting the species specific ecological associations (ie mycorrhyzal fungi etc) that the Petrea will not have.

So..........one foot in the past, one in the present, and most definately one in the future :001_smile:

Then, if I had been more specific at the start, this thread wouldn't of had such an interesting debate :sneaky2:

As some of you know i live and work in a deer park and all deer eat acorns you will need to be quick. They also wreck the bottom of the trees they stand on the buttresses to reach up to browse i will put up a picture of this tomoz. Here are a couple of nice oaks you may have felled.:biggrin:

597654113db7d_pests20-4-2008002.jpg.a5bc16fbbd345082415755e6eb1f4969.jpg

597654113b02f_pests20-4-2008001.jpg.b0984ce3a72244940ab9cf2c51ccbcdb.jpg