Tree's failing?.....So move the target.

David Humphries

Im with Giles and Monkeyd, keep the fallen tree. Its interesting, a temporary carbon sink, a continual source of dysfunctional wood for years to come and potential habitat for Fungi, Bats, Staghorn beetles and many other creatures.

Leaving the tree makes a bold statement about what is important to the people who are managing the land.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im with Giles and Monkeyd, keep the fallen tree. Its interesting, a temporary carbon sink, a continual source of dysfunctional wood for years to come and potential habitat for Fungi, Bats, Staghorn beetles and many other creatures.

Leaving the tree makes a bold statement about what is important to the people who are managing the land.

I'm with you guys too. But I do appreciate that tree management is subjective and there really is no real right or wrong answer.

[.Now I am about to depart on the small matter of a honeymoon so do not expect a reply until my return.

QUOTE] Please see my interwoven comments above in red. Take care David and keep up the good work but please stay open and receptive to all opinions in various circumstances. Colin[/

Being openminded to change and alternative, is the single biggest attribute I have learned in the last few years Colin.

I have been fortunate enough to have earned the respect to be able to practice and talk around many aspects of Arb at ours and other sites.

And as such, feel relatively duty bound to share my observations and thoughts with all on here.

I like to think that I aspire to never push my side of the coin on any one.

If my vocabulary and prose, are ever found to waver toward despotism, then I humbly appologies.

As for suggesting that I naively & disrespectfully place you within the afore mentioned group, I am dissapointed, as you are on a pedestal Sir, along with some lesser and greater professionals, and due respect is given.

Just wish you 'lurkers' would lurk a little less, and enrichen our Science and Law threads with a bigger presence. That includes you Mr Cowan, among others :sneaky2:

Although a little late I fear, I wish both yourself & Julie have a great honeymoon Mr B.

Congratulations & all the best. :001_smile:

Edited by Monkey-D

• 2 weeks later...

I commend your efforts to retain what could prove to be a veteran of the future Monkeyd. I only wish that Sefton Council up here were as level-headed and creative as you.

"Is that a leaf miner I see on that 200 year old Horse Chestnut Dave?"

"Aye , I think it is Bill. Best get it felled quick before it kills someone."

• 2 weeks later...

Some want it gone because it looks unsightly, some want it retained because it looks good. The position you take is opinionated and subjective but the ecological value it has whether it lives or dies is undisputable; thus it should be retained if possible.

It pains me that we just go around having to fell things for some perverse sense of "Tidiness" related to tree work. We unecessarily remove/fell/destroy hundreds of trees in my LA area, it is to fell or not to fell. Little goes into thinking about any kind of long term management or other considerations and it is a relief to find this kind of sensible open mindedness about our arboricultural assets instead of "no that tree has had it, dismantle fell and stump grind delete delete delete"...

• 1 year later...

Not in the same scale as the threads subject, but this old Pine is very slowly going to ground.

To keep people off the plate & away from the hazard we've decided to block the access, at least until gravity has done it thang.

Originally tried just putting pine timber across the path, but someone, (probably that darstardly octoganarian Mrs de ville character from number 37.........) was persistantly moving the logs :001_rolleyes:

So as sympathetically as we could, up goes an Oak post n rail with the timber strewd across the whole plate.

(try movin that lot, Mrs de ville :sneaky2:) :biggrin:

IMG_9176.jpg.a826731f648d6b7022e4d240f84742a6.jpg

IMG_9179.jpg.afee68773ff2fa22a12016eba657c678.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg.433a5f27acd497a332a2defcd8f2b8a2.jpg

IMG_3403.JPG.2360ca58da8a0195d87052c587336cde.JPG

IMG_1856.jpg.441a4e98e20bb1a88fc1d9f655cde51e.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg.f2cf92bb61455f4fb0089dac3b8e98d9.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg.83abe18d262301e1ae7cd875181aa017.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg.2332bc6ccf310772d44c8cb426a3c62f.jpg

I like em. The trees have a different character and still maintain an ecosystem. It's just something different from the norm. S'funny but I read the thread on the Squirrels before this one and some people were saying that they should be left as a survival of the fittest scenario. I think the same applies here. The tree is isn't dead yet and it would have been left to do its own thing if it was in the middle of a forest. I've seen this type of thing happen with a few trees where they go over and send out new supporting branches and roots leaving all sorts of weird and wonderful shapes.