Compulsory drugs testing

arbogrunt

anyone who smokes dope at work -esp tree work is asking for an accident. it affects you awareness, reaction time and choice making. this could lead to an accident and could injure other staff on site. also how would this affect insurance payout if you fall out a tree ?

anyone who smokes dope at work is iresponsible and needs to get a grip. :thumbdown:

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone who smokes dope at work -esp tree work is asking for an accident. it affects you awareness, reaction time and choice making. this could lead to an accident and could injure other staff on site. also how would this affect insurance payout if you fall out a tree ?

anyone who smokes dope at work is iresponsible and needs to get a grip. :thumbdown:

Spot on,its puting everyone else at risk,no matter what the drug,no excuses.:thumbup1:

I have no issue whatsoever with anyone who likes to indulge in their cgemicals, whether it's beer, weed, crack etc,as long as it doesn't affect me in any way. Smoking dope on site? Well that's just totally disrespectful to me, the client and the company and I would have no qualms in getting them sacked.

The often heard arguement from the smokers is that, oh, it's ok, it doesn't effect me. Apart from that being a scientifically proven falacy, if that genuinely was the case, then why bother smoking at all? This is such a dangerous industry, anyone who increases the risk of injury to themselves and the others around them by taking psychoatives in the workplace should not have any place in arb'.

RDTing is a tricky one though, as it doesn't differentiate between those who have the odd weekend indulgence and those who take the proverbial and see nothing wrong in smoking at work. We wouldn't tolerate a workmate who cracked open a can or two of Special Brew at lunch, so why does anyone think smoking weed is any different?

This is an interesting thread and has shown up some interesting opinions on the subject.

Quite. Never have and never will. Anywhere.

Hi there for one company I do contract work for we have random D&a tests and it's sack on the spot if anyone fails . I have worked with many and sometime some have been smashed at work but on the harder stuff . I don't think a bit of weed does to much harm the problems start when they come to work still drunk or high or on a come down from the night before .

Littletree

... I don't think a bit of weed does to much harm the problems start when they come to work still drunk or high or on a come down from the night before .

Littletree

???

The whole point of smoking is that it DOES change your perceptions and reaction times. If it had no effect, then people wouldn't smoke it!!!

As someone who has never smoked, I have seen what I load of b......s it really is when people state that it doesn't really effect them :thumbdown:

Weed, Pot, Mary Jane or what ever other name you wish to give is a gate way drug, which usually but not always leads to other types of drugs to be tried and used. Many employers post signs in their offices stating "if you use don't apply.". RDT for State employees here in Florida is presently being fought by the ACLU and other types of organizations, saying it infringes upon the employee's civil rights?. Nothing civil about showing up to work stoned or under the influence, just out right dangerous and stupid.

elg

I respect your right to an opinion but when it's ill informed I reserve the right to take the piss.

This is not the time or place for discussion of drug laws and the reasons behind prohibition, but check out Portugals way of doing things.

For the record I do not take any drugs except for possibly the deadliest one which is also legal, alcohol.

"Bread the gateway food, 100% of heroin addicts have previously eaten bread"

Ban bread now.

Edited by Amelanchier

Big D, I can only reference my opinion with many of my class mates growing up in the 70's here in the states. Many of them now are at room temp or less and it is only because they started out with Pot or Alcohol. From there they expanded their menu needs and many are no longer around or their brains are so fried they walk around town aimlessly as the town druggie or alcoholic. It is your right not to submit to a drug test and it is also the right of any employer not to hirer you in the first place. Not really sure how things are done with regards to RDT in Portugal, don't really care to be honest. I only hope for the sake of the many post for this thread that if you use remember there are consequences for ones actions and non actions. Choose wisely the results can last many lifetimes not least to mention your own.

elg

You shouldn't be under the influence of anything at work, but what you do in your spare time is up to you. I don't condone breaking the law (none of you seem to give a stuff about that!) but I don't think drugs testing in the work place is needed.

Most people can tell when someones off their head, I think if I caught one of the lads under the influence while working I'd send him home and decide whether or not he would be coming back at all.

Its not big and its not clever. It can permanently change who you are - thats enough isn't it?