Is there such thing as an Ebay bargain?

Vyvsdad

There are bargains to be had on Ebay, it is not all junk.

I have sold a few "good" things and the buyers have been very pleased, Items were not junk and the buyers got bargains, so I know there are bargains to be had.

I have bought 3 saws on Ebay they have all been good, but buyer beware,

there is some crap about.

Some people on the forum say "run a saw till it is knackered then sell on Ebay", but some people are a little more honest.

Study for a long time, look closely at the pictures, ask a few questions, you will soon get your eye in and spot the duds.

I almost bought this one,

262xpb.jpg

Went for £207, would be interesting to know if it was good.

Guy said had been in the shed for a long time, spider crap and dust is hard to fake, looks genuine to me. Did anyone on here buy it?

H-A

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've bought three chainsaws off ebay in recent months. If it looks too cheap then it is.

Buy off a seller who regularly sells and has almost 100% good feedback. The one offs aren't worth the risk. If the pictures aren't good (often post a video as well) then don't buy. Email them and ask a few questions. If you have any doubts walk. So bargains yes, but give aways no.

I've bought three chainsaws off ebay in recent months. If it looks too cheap then it is.

Buy off a seller who regularly sells and has almost 100% good feedback. The one offs aren't worth the risk. If the pictures aren't good (often post a video as well) then don't buy. Email them and ask a few questions. If you have any doubts walk. So bargains yes, but give aways no.

Ditto that, Sellers who regularly sell on Ebay, especially Power Sellers have a good reputation to keep and maintain, it only takes 1 bad feedback rating and that reputation has gone. I often buy on Ebay, mostly from Reputable Dealers such as Fletcher Stewart, Gustharts etc, who often sell off surplass stock. You can get Cracking Brand New goods on Ebay..

Not everything on ebay is junk - there are some real bargains to be had. For various reasons, I am about to list an industrial laser. It is old, but in full working order. It will start on a 99p auction with no reserve and I really don't care what it makes!

My approach with chainsaws is to buy the ones which state that they are spares or repair, at the appropriate price to replace the pot and piston with a good quality non-OEM one. If the pot and piston are good then I will be up. If they are not, I will be covered. It would be exceptional for more to be wrong with it than that in terms of expensive parts that you couldn't see were shot/missing.

Alec

sorry.. i didnt intend to offend a good ebay seller... i mean sometimes people put knackered stuff on there just to get rid of it...

i know there are alot of good sellers and some bargins to be had. i too buy off ebay now and again.

it can be a bit of a gamble buying used stuff...there, i hope that offends no one :thumbup:

chris

For what you're doing the biggest Mitox might fit the bill. 3 KW, 20" bar, £250 and two years warranty. Worth a look if you have a dealer nearby I would think.

Gardenkit on here rates them. They're no Stihl but the price is right and with a two year warranty you have none of the worries of s/h kit breaking.

I will be putting my money where my mouth is next week and buying the little top handle for £150! I need one once every few months for hedge reductions etc, plus I want to try the brand.

I will be putting my money where my mouth is next week and buying the little top handle for £150! I need one once every few months for hedge reductions etc, plus I want to try the brand.

mitox-3612T-top-handle-chainsaw.jpg

looks nice, interesting to see what it is like.

H-A

mitox-3612T-top-handle-chainsaw.jpg

looks nice, interesting to see what it is like.

H-A

Balance isn't brilliant but a shorter bar will sort that. It feels plastiky, but no worse than a Husky tbh!

I will post a review once I get it. I don't blame anyone else for refusing to take a chance on it, but I won't be relying upon it and I trust my local dealer.