advice on buying landrover need one soon

d-raittuk

looked thought many threads cant find my answers so iam enlisting the help of the Land rover owners/nuts.

Witch is the best land rover (90 110 etc) tipper single cab to get ideally needs to be a good tower need to pull a 2.8 mini digger among other things logs and chip in the back storage not essential but a big bonus.

also is it worth buying a cheap rover and converting it or by one good to go ?

time and money spent for personal spec vs just having one to make do?

if anyone has one for sale or knows of a decent one bearing in mind dont want to pay big bucks as its my first "work horse"

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

looked thought many threads cant find my answers so iam enlisting the help of the Land rover owners/nuts.

Witch is the best land rover (90 110 etc) tipper single cab to get ideally needs to be a good tower need to pull a 2.8 mini digger among other things logs and chip in the back storage not essential but a big bonus.

also is it worth buying a cheap rover and converting it or by one good to go ?

time and money spent for personal spec vs just having one to make do?

if anyone has one for sale or knows of a decent one bearing in mind dont want to pay big bucks as its my first "work horse"

Thanks

HI MATE 90 tipper is to small for me 110 good but a 130 you can store more stuff boxes under tipper as it long 300/200 TDI are good and easy to work on too td5 are good if you get a good low millage but there laptop job to put right i like 300tdi mate a tipper there chaps around do them for £2.5k on a 110 but have a look at them mate best tyres are BFG thanks jon

Buy the best you can afford whilst leaving a little in reserve to sort out any problems and get it how you want it

I would think a 110 would be better from what you have said above and personally wouldn't go any newer than 300TDI engined models

Get a tracker on it - my 130 has a tiso electronics unit fitted with a pay as you go sim so no monthly outgoings on it

Get other decent security devices again my 130 has the X-Eng pedal lock great piece of kit and so easy to engage you don't think twice about using it

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Spend a bit extra on a decent one imo, parts are cheap but to do one up properly is fairly time consuming, 200tdi & 300tdi are pretty bullet proof engines but a bit lacking in power although they can be tweaked pretty easily and cheaply, as said take someone along who knows the problem areas you get on older landies if you aren't too clued up on them yourself.

90's make good tow motors but the rear space is rubbish, 110 hicap make good work horses, and will have the salisbury rear axle.

Be choosey about what brand of parts you use on it when bits need doing and it should see you well, we avoid one particular brand like the plague.

You can find a 110 hi cap then it woukd be ripe for a tipper conversion, or even without the tipper makes a very useful sized pickup bed. I have a 300tdi hi cap which will pull my 2.8t digger but I rather question its safety, going downhill is all well and good if you have good trailer brakes but on some of the hills round here iv'e had it spinning out when trying to pull the digger up the hill and its not so funny when it starts to pull you backwards with your wheels braked on.

You can find a 110 hi cap then it woukd be ripe for a tipper conversion, or even without the tipper makes a very useful sized pickup bed. I have a 300tdi hi cap which will pull my 2.8t digger but I rather question its safety, going downhill is all well and good if you have good trailer brakes but on some of the hills round here iv'e had it spinning out when trying to pull the digger up the hill and its not so funny when it starts to pull you backwards with your wheels braked on.

Getting pulled backwards downhill is proper scary! I would only tow heavy loads uphill with some weight in the truck, last time it happened to me was due to missing gear change from 2nd to 1st, now I plan ahead and pop her in low box way before the steep bit.