advice on buying landrover need one soon

d-raittuk

Getting pulled backwards downhill is proper scary! I would only tow heavy loads uphill with some weight in the truck, last time it happened to me was due to missing gear change from 2nd to 1st, now I plan ahead and pop her in low box way before the steep bit.

when I'm towing 3.5t I just have it in low all the time, saves so much clutch work. Putting all the digger buckets in the pickup bed helps but still the front wheels can spin out. I'm sure many people tow 3.5t safely all the time but in hilly country its really out of a defenders league. This is with a 110 I'd dread to think what it'd be like in a 90:laugh1:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when I'm towing 3.5t I just have it in low all the time, saves so much clutch work. Putting all the digger buckets in the pickup bed helps but still the front wheels can spin out. I'm sure many people tow 3.5t safely all the time but in hilly country its really out of a defenders league. This is with a 110 I'd dread to think what it'd be like in a 90:laugh1:

Could be worse, Matt. Could be in a Ranger. :lol:

The only reason I didn't go down the Defender route (I'm ex-mil & love these vehicles - taken them places you cannot imagine) was security.

If you can lock them up in a compound great - but outside in "normal conditions" - it's going to be a worry.

Russ

same detail mate spent my whole army carrer trying to break them only ever broke 2 and one of them still ploded on lol (infantry:001_tt2:)

looked thought many threads cant find my answers so iam enlisting the help of the Land rover owners/nuts.

Witch is the best land rover (90 110 etc) tipper single cab to get ideally needs to be a good tower need to pull a 2.8 mini digger among other things logs and chip in the back storage not essential but a big bonus.

also is it worth buying a cheap rover and converting it or by one good to go ?

time and money spent for personal spec vs just having one to make do?

if anyone has one for sale or knows of a decent one bearing in mind dont want to pay big bucks as its my first "work horse"

Thanks

My advise would be to buy on condition and not the year. There are some really up together old ones out there and some very late dogs.

Bob

thanks for the advice guys so what would you say is a acceptable amount of money to pay out i have seen some for around the 3k mark non tipper sort then 2k ish to do it up then i have seen a 90 for 6k and then there is that green one on arb trader

HI MATE the 110 is better for towing and 90 is just small if you look around you can nice one but it to harder work now as prices of 4x4 are higher in the winter and 200/300tdi hold there money very well some people do not like td5 as it laptop work to fix them so it up to you i would get 200/300tdi just keep looking or just buy a 110 hi cap 3500kgs one not the 3050kgs one as you can carry more weight on 3500kgs and get someone to do the tipper body you may get good 110 for say £6/7k:thumbup1: all in tipper as well but it will be hard work that thanks but very much worth it thanks jon :thumbup: