Cheap housing

Graham

i have had run ins with planning but still think it is there for the right reasons

It might be there for the right reasons but the system itself is complete pants. There is so much legislation in the planning system that they can find a paragraph somewhere to either condemn or approve just about anything that's put in front of them. So there's absolutely no consistency in judgements and more importantly if you've the money to pay for a "legal team" you'll scare the **** out of them and they'll approve just about anything rather than risk refusing it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being born when the ratio of average property price to average wage as 3x, not 8x...:001_rolleyes:

With you all the way on this one Alex. Sweet van BTW.

dont you mean when the mortgage was 3x?

my nephew has just built his own home without a mortgage at 23, it can be done

It might be there for the right reasons but the system itself is complete pants. There is so much legislation in the planning system that they can find a paragraph somewhere to either condemn or approve just about anything that's put in front of them. So there's absolutely no consistency in judgements and more importantly if you've the money to pay for a "legal team" you'll scare the **** out of them and they'll approve just about anything rather than risk refusing it.

just read the local plan? easy enough:thumbup1:

When you stop and look at the housing stocks of this country you will notice that the only decent properties were built prior to the need for planning consent. I dont hold with green belt policies of this country, if a decent house is built on a decent sized plot there will be more trees, plants , hedges and wildlife habitat there than any farmers chemically enhanced and subsidised field. The quality of life for the inhabitants will also be improved. I am not saying sprawl housing all over the place but give it decent space. There are plenty of places to build without encroaching on valued farm land or trying to condense the population into a matchboxes in overpopulated towns. Rant over.

Bob

dont you mean when the mortgage was 3x?

my nephew has just built his own home without a mortgage at 23, it can be done

No, I mean average wage.

http://anmblog.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c565553ef0133ed0d1a76970b-500wi

Slightly out with my figure of 8x but it's still double.

Is your nephew:

A. A pie key

B. A banker

or C. Have rich parents/contacts in the planning department?

Don't get me wrong, us young uns don't want to live in a mansion right off. We just want to same chances to buy a starter house on an average wage that you lot got. Hell, you can even keep the free uni education.... And the pensions...:001_rolleyes:

However a factor which most people are ignoring is the ever-upward sprial ( helix actually) of standards of housing.

i.e. substantially larger in sq footage/ plus lived in by many fewer persons (compared to the 50's or 60's)

plus technically much more sosphistaced, therefore more expensive to build.

Therefore they must be more expensive in relation to average wages, when inflation adjusted.

I dont believe that houses have been subject to the same production efficiences as most consumer goods, therefore the tradesmens wages will always factor large.

regards

Marcus

Is your nephew:

A. A pie key

B. A banker

or C. Have rich parents/contacts in the planning department?

Don't get me wrong, us young uns don't want to live in a mansion right off. We just want to same chances to buy a starter house on an average wage that you lot got. Hell, you can even keep the free uni education.... And the pensions...:001_rolleyes:

D- got off his arse and worked hard

my first house was 7x my income, but any mortgage available was only 3x

20+ years ago tough times

D- got off his arse and worked hard

And all credit to him. However, the crux of the issue is that that is now the exception rather than the norm.

15 years ago Mr and Mrs Average bought their first house together in their twenties. Now this is much rarer.

If your nephew is doing well, nobody is slating him. But think how much better he would have done in the housing stakes had he been born 15 years earlier.