Yard at home?

ecotreecare

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We live on site which is good for security. No easy answer depends on how you feel about looking out the kitchen window at all the work in front of you. Also we have kept the costs away from the business as when you sell you could be in for capital gains tax on your property. I think the ideal would be yard and workshops next door out of view. so work is work and home is home. You could still install cameras for security but looking at a screen occasionally does not seem so bad.

We live on site which is good for security. No easy answer depends on how you feel about looking out the kitchen window at all the work in front of you. Also we have kept the costs away from the business as when you sell you could be in for capital gains tax on your property. I think the ideal would be yard and workshops next door out of view. so work is work and home is home. You could still install cameras for security but looking at a screen occasionally does not seem so bad.

I would not my yard in my garden, they need to be separate.

Working from home base makes life so much easier running a business, everthing is more flexable, and there is enough travelling without a journey to and from a yard at the end of a long day.

Security has always been a big issue, and I feel happier knowing we are 'on the premises'. We were totally cleaned out once in another part of UK, it happened when we were on holiday. Now we always make sure someone is around if we are away, use CCTV, and dont advertise our holiday dates on phone messages/FB etc.

It may have sounded like I am bitching but I am not. Its just owning these places is an assault on all your free time. She that must be obeyed runs competition horses, we do our agri/forestry business and there is just no free time. I end up working late most of the time just to make the next day just that bit easier. The yard side of things can wreck your sleep, if the dogs kick off in the night you have to throw on your togs get out there and have a look. If the horses bang about in the night you cant ignore them just in case one is cast. I have lost count of the amount of them we have pulled off the walls in the early hours over the years. Then if you are away for a day or two its a permanent worry. I envy those that leave their workplace and go home.

Bob

It may have sounded like I am bitching but I am not. Its just owning these places is an assault on all your free time. She that must be obeyed runs competition horses, we do our agri/forestry business and there is just no free time. I end up working late most of the time just to make the next day just that bit easier. The yard side of things can wreck your sleep, if the dogs kick off in the night you have to throw on your togs get out there and have a look. If the horses bang about in the night you cant ignore them just in case one is cast. I have lost count of the amount of them we have pulled off the walls in the early hours over the years. Then if you are away for a day or two its a permanent worry. I envy those that leave their workplace and go home.

Bob

Sounds more like your problem is wife dogs and horses. No Animals here sleep like a log. :biggrin:

The only benefit I think is that you are on site for security purposes, apart from that I personally think being that close to work has a lot of down sides

But it's not 'only' security; security is a huge and growing factor. An arb I know lived away from his yards for many years but after being turned over one time too many sought a house with adjacent yard.

As for leaving work at work - that's where the personal choice and discipline come into it.

Bob

I totally agree as we in a same situation at home, and I can not agree enough, it has it pro and cons

and it is nice to be near the yard but not on top of the house, a as we have competition horses and one Draft horse (for the woods), as well a farm to run along with lots of other uses the yard gets used for, and there is a house in the yard, with a youngish family,

but you can spend hours in the yards, though the house in the yard does make you stop working big bits of kit to late un less you too much to do, though they also work for us.

Ps build your banks better

Edited by NI Tree