Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Been down that road myself, I had a 1.6t takeuchi, I thought I'd buy a brand new tb219 at the last moment I pulled out and went for the 2.8ton takeuchi tb125, yes its 3.5ton without mud in the tracks on a trailer and can be a bit of a drag to move around but when I think back to most of the jobs I have done with it since having it I would really struggle with a smaller machine now.

It is a bugger. Thing is I can put the stump grinder or the little chipper and the digger on a trailer together if I stay at around 2tons.

Which may actually end up more productive and result in me using the digger a lot more. Because it doesn't have to go out on a dedicated trailer.

Plus when there are a lot of stumps on one site my HB20 is hard work. Having a digger there aswell with a driver to dig round and clear up will make to day seem a lot easier, and my biceps will thank me.

EDIT: In fact, just thought. chipper on the pickup bed. Grinder and digger in the trailer. Will mean I can legally take all three to site and still have the tipper trailer to run stuff away.

It is a bugger. Thing is I can put the stump grinder or the little chipper and the digger on a trailer together if I stay at around 2tons.

Which may actually end up more productive and result in me using the digger a lot more. Because it doesn't have to go out on a dedicated trailer.

Plus when there are a lot of stumps on one site my HB20 is hard work. Having a digger there aswell with a driver to dig round and clear up will make to day seem a lot easier, and my biceps will thank me.

EDIT: In fact, just thought. chipper on the pickup bed. Grinder and digger in the trailer. Will mean I can legally take all three to site and still have the tipper trailer to run stuff away.

Sounds like your probably better off sticking with the smaller digger.I must admit being able to take a digger and tipping trailer to a job in one go plus any attachments other small machines would be a real winner at times. I used to get my takeuchi tb016 (with grab) and a 6" tracked timberwolf on a 10ft I for flatbed and take that to the job in one go. It was bang on 3500kg but saved a lot of hassle at times.

Slightly concerned by why all the diffetent colours on that digger and some missing panels? Is it a cut and shut?

If it was I doubt someone would admit on an open forum:001_rolleyes:

As machines get older, they are botched up and replacement parts are sourced.

My old tractor didn't have 2 panels that matched:laugh1:

My Mogs pretty much the same:blushing:

Was an ex-hire machine and they came from jcb that colour, want to paint all yellow but the whole main frame is blue so to do a proper job it's a big strip down. Missing panels are to check for leaks as just had main spool block stripped to find a fault.

Anyone tow a trailer behind there mini digger? I might put a tow ball on the blade so I can tow a trailer to load with timber/soil as I go along. I don't think they steer very well with a trailer on the back but not sure. I remember once getting bogged down with a trailer and landrover with a load of fencing stakes on the back. Landy didn't stand a chance, my old digger which was only 1.6t pulled it out with finesse!

A small light weight trailer, but when its full the digger pulls it no problem and it makes a big difference on the job. Also great for towing a chipper off road.

Timber trailer, grab rotator and digging buckets put on the back of Isuzu NKR 3.5 tonne tipper. Digger towed behind and still well under train weight.

Ive got a couple of days work down in Dumfries with it next week then its up to Inverness for few days, no problem.

Makes life a lot easer on jobs.

IMG_0193.jpg.2f432a279124285ef217e4bb2f003134.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed reading about all your wonderful machines and am now very tempted to try out a 3 ton excavator to help with my woodland management.

I am intrigued by the idea of towing a lightweight timber trailer behind the machine and loading it using a grab on the arm. Do people find this a good extraction option over short distances? I suppose there is always the option of transferring the trailer from excavator to tractor when you get to a main ride.

Does anyone have any idea how much weight a 3 ton 360 would be able to tow over flat woodland terrain?

Also, how good are pallet forks on these machines? Do you think a 1/2 ton lift might be possible with a 3 ton digger? I am thinking about loading pallets of split logs onto trailers.

Many thanks TVI

Really enjoyed reading about all your wonderful machines and am now very tempted to try out a 3 ton excavator to help with my woodland management.

I am intrigued by the idea of towing a lightweight timber trailer behind the machine and loading it using a grab on the arm. Do people find this a good extraction option over short distances? I suppose there is always the option of transferring the trailer from excavator to tractor when you get to a main ride.

Does anyone have any idea how much weight a 3 ton 360 would be able to tow over flat woodland terrain?

Also, how good are pallet forks on these machines? Do you think a 1/2 ton lift might be possible with a 3 ton digger? I am thinking about loading pallets of split logs onto trailers.

Many thanks TVI

3 tonner will easily lift half a ton of logs- I picked up a full dumpy bag 850kg of gravel with mine today and it didn't seem to struggle.

Reference towing a trailer- on the back of this thread I bolted a tow ball to the dozer blade last week. I have been towing an I for flatbed with a bundle of fencing stakes accross fields no problem, turning whilst towing isn't great so its best to travel in a series of straight lines, turn on the spot then head off on the new line.

I have this idea of towing an I for 8x5 tipper which I could load with soil/stones/timber and then use the auxiliary hydraulics on the digger arm to tip it. Needs a bit of thinking over but could be a handy setup for some jobs.