Big blow, how different would things be today??

skyhuck

I'm fairly certain that the weekend warriors chainsaw accident figures were lumped in with the professional users. Hence higher insurance premiums, and more attention from the H&S.

I remember you couldn't buy a saw in Cambridge the day after, in 87.

On another note, a recent survey on the affects of that storm showed that 25yrs on, environmentally it wasn't such a bad thing.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at a particular sky line near me that was hugely affected in 87 there are just 2 or 3 tall blips that were survivors of 87 and the rest of the canopy is the re-gen some 2/3rds lower . Some areas were replanted and others left to re-gen on their own . The re-gen seems to have done better I think . As well as the short term boom / long term bust theory it would make me weep to see a repeat of that happening ....

I'm fairly certain that the weekend warriors chainsaw accident figures were lumped in with the professional users. Hence higher insurance premiums, and more attention from the H&S.

I remember you couldn't buy a saw in Cambridge the day after, in 87.

On another note, a recent survey on the affects of that storm showed that 25yrs on, environmentally it wasn't such a bad thing.

Interesting thought buddy,

could you explain your thinking?

a lot of trees that came down in 87 should have if managed been taken down more so beech all we cut up had the black spot in middle of tree and where over 150 years plus so should have been felled as was intended when planted. 25 years on a lot of where trees came down others have taken there place but still on a small scale but still a number which are now 25years older and in non managed areas so these could be the ones to come down.

but in other posts i do not think on the scale of 87 can only wait and see as for weekend warriers times have changed and can not see any council no matter how bad taking anyone on without all the relevant paperwork and insurance, can not say for the private customer. but i think the insurance company will want a quote for any work done under insurance so the cowboys will not see much from it

I'm staying in bed this time.

That didn't work, got dragged out to cut a tree off a car, write off. Wiping egg off my face as I'd passed it off as fair condition, so wouldn't expect problems till next inspection due in Oct 2015. Stem was sound to ground level, slight brown stain in a sector where the bark had been damaged several years ago. What I hadn't seen 1 year and 10 days ago was the spindleshank in profusion. There was some evidence of earlier fruiting bodies, which by then was a black jelly.

H&S is nothing to do with safety its a paperwork excercise to pass the buck further down the line. When the large organisation grinds to a halt it goes straight out the window. When I carry out routine service work need to book in 48 hrs before with rems normally plus 16 pages for a 1 hour service. Next week bet I dont fill anything out lights go out generator engineer goes in. Stay safe and watch out for your selves dont rely on the pen pushers they will be in melt down if it happens again.

Yes, our company worked through days and nights in '87, there was not much H&S then, a completely different era