Log suppliers are not all equal

Sharkbait

I've got one started near me, web site and all. Claims to be selling seasoned hardwood. this is his first year, most of his wood is 2ft + in diameter and bought less 6months ago. So as we all know well seasoned. Not worth bothering about

If he can sell it, good luck to him.

You lot would have the log trade as a pay to enter cartel if you could get away with it! :lol:

Plenty of folk round my way cut it straight from the round into the back of the truck, and they sell it no problem. It's often more hassle than it's worth to explain the difference in price and quality to the uninformed customer. Hence the expression, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

In all seriousness, I have some stuff thats been in vented bags since early spring, and some being cut now from year old cord and will be stored in vented bags in a barn for sale in February/March.

A cold dry wind is as good as a summer breeze!

there is a guy at the end of our village does firewood, artic per week coming in. he tells me he has sold 500 cubes between may and august, he also sells seasoned and has 100s of ibc's full. he tells people the difference, nothing wrong with that

another guy is on gumtree selling seasoned wood which is still standing-he is offering to cut trees for nothing and waits until he has a buyer for the wood, thats just wrong

If he can sell it, good luck to him.

You lot would have the log trade as a pay to enter cartel if you could get away with it! :lol:

Plenty of folk round my way cut it straight from the round into the back of the truck, and they sell it no problem. It's often more hassle than it's worth to explain the difference in price and quality to the uninformed customer. Hence the expression, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

In all seriousness, I have some stuff thats been in vented bags since early spring, and some being cut now from year old cord and will be stored in vented bags in a barn for sale in February/March.

A cold dry wind is as good as a summer breeze!

Very true they just want cheap. Come December when all the wood has gone you could sell them bits of old kitchen cupboard.

Had a would-be custumor phone tonite who said 'you sell seasoned hardwood dont you?' As if it was something only available on the black market.

He has previously been supplied with cubes of corsican that was still upright 3 weeks before delivery as i saw a competitor dumping it off a few weeks ago,and he's paid £120 for the privalidge.

Taking him some of mine out tomorrow.

The cord may be seasoned cord

Makes little difference unless the bark has fallen off it.

This time last year I was processing Ash and Syc for sale this winter, in had been in a stack for 18 months. Fresh felled the MC was about 35%, when processed 25%, acceptable for most due to ignorance but nowhere dry enough for optimum results.

A

Cord / rings / split logs stacked outside will never dry to firewood acceptable moisture content.

I stack cord / rings / outside for twelve to eighteen month to the end off summer before the rains start, then move it under cover. It dries fine, dependant on length and diameter of cord, some may need a little more time under cover

another guy is on gumtree selling seasoned wood which is still standing-he is offering to cut trees for nothing and waits until he has a buyer for the wood, thats just wrong

I used to know someone who did a similar thing when he got a log order he would go up the wood and fell a tree, cut it and deliver it straight out, then complained he never had any repeat custom :001_rolleyes: