Log suppliers are not all equal

Sharkbait

There's a company that supplies logs based at a farm about half a mile from my house - they certainly used to do tree work but I'm nor sure if they do now.

I pass the farm every morning taking my girls to work and can see where they put and split the wood.

Earlier in the year there was a good pile of trunks, etc but i nthe last couple of weeks that has now been replaced by a stack of cord. The worrying thing is that I can see them splitting this cord and chucking it straight into the pickup for delivery to some poor unsuspecting soul who's expecting decent wood.

I'm so glad I don't use them any more!

The cord may be seasoned cord

I got a few bits of cord from 3 years ago some especially the beech with bark fell of looks seasoned and once processed will be great in a month or two. The ash, oak and arcasia are 38% and look as green as the day they were cut with sap squirting out as u split it. The only timber I have seen start to season in the cord is beech and birch. If you did not get your logs in vented bags by last march they are next years stock ie september 2014.

There's a company that supplies logs based at a farm about half a mile from my house - they certainly used to do tree work but I'm nor sure if they do now.

I pass the farm every morning taking my girls to work and can see where they put and split the wood.

Earlier in the year there was a good pile of trunks, etc but i nthe last couple of weeks that has now been replaced by a stack of cord. The worrying thing is that I can see them splitting this cord and chucking it straight into the pickup for delivery to some poor unsuspecting soul who's expecting decent wood.

I'm so glad I don't use them any more!

My local 'been selling logs to the village for years' guy does the same - only using a processor. My jaw dropped when I visited once to see his processor's conveyor hovering over the bed of the pickup depositing the logs!

And he sells them as 'seasoned'...

The cord may be seasoned cord

I don't think there is such a thing Dean - everyone wants to think there is - but there isn't - bar say long time standing deadwood...

All cord size wood I have ringed up even with no bark and years off the ground is still 30%+

As above, can you be sure the stack of roundwood isn't seasoned?

edit: btw I've got beech in the round down to 20-25% in 1 year...

Agreed . The beech round wood here is 5 years down , black on the ends the bark is falling off and any moisture is from being rained on . Well seasoned wood that is wet from rain is totally different from green wood that has moisture in it that has been drawn up by the roots . My opinion only .