New Scrap Metal laws

chopperpete

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My groundie has just renewed his tipper insurance and to carry scrap metal was an extra 1200 quid! I'm sure there are a lot of people carrying scrap uninsured

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

If you itemised every single thing you might carry on a transit, the insurance would be in the tens of thousands. Plenty of people would be 'uninsured' on that day they help their mate move house for a few quid. The insurers look for every angle to bleed you.

Has anyone experience of where they've wiggled out paying a claim for this sort of thing? Like the one day in 365 you run a years worth of collected scrap into the yard?

If you itemised every single thing you might carry on a transit, the insurance would be in the tens of thousands. Plenty of people would be 'uninsured' on that day they help their mate move house for a few quid. The insurers look for every angle to bleed you.

Has anyone experience of where they've wiggled out paying a claim for this sort of thing? Like the one day in 365 you run a years worth of collected scrap into the yard?

Very true

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The increase in thefts of DPFs and Catalytic converters from vans trucks and 4x4s has increased since the change of rules re cash from Scrappy s they are going missing due to the ease of changing them into cash i know of several company's that will pay cash and collect the units no scrap yard involved ! the laws and enforcement of them and the reluctance of the "Police" to actually prosecute and impound crush etc vehicles used by them and to lock the buggers up is laughable ! We will still get several caravan utilizing nomadic traveler type a month trying to buy our scrap etc ! and the answer will always be a polite no thanks we deal with it ourselves !

The way I see it, as of today you need a License from any local authority that you collect scrap metal in.

If you collect scrap from various local authority areas, you will need a license from each local authority. These will cost between £200 and £300 each.

You will also need to be DBS checked, this is the new CRB check.

The "Dooser" word on the street (according to the guy that removes my scrap) is that tomorrow morning every scrap yard in the country will have ministry people and police on the gate.

You will need: Licence to carry waste.

DBS disclosure notice.

Local authority scrap license.

Will it be enforced? I hope so, but I am not holding my breath.

If it is enforced, lock everything up as the "do as they likeys" will be looking for other profitable activities, which will undoubtedly involve nicking.

H-A

The new scrap laws have been a total success and achieved exactly what the government set out to do. People with an address and paid tax are now paying even more. Before some would have put the money in their pocket and bought the lads a drink at christmas. Now it goes into your business acct so the vat man gets 20% and the tax man gets 40% of whats left. Legislation through the back door they never set out to reduce metal theft that is still going on exactly as before an they still get the money in their pocket. And yes it feels like a conspiracy to take the money of the working man since 75% of your pay goes to the tax man.