Domestic Fuel bills

Mike Dempsey

Got a nice letter in yesterday from Scottish and Southern Energy. As of 17th November they are putting up our gas and leccy prices by 8.2 percent. Our leccy will be about £850 a year and the gas about £1220 or a grand total of £2080 or thereabouts. This was bound to happen as soon as Millbland said he was going to freeze the prices that energy companies could charge. Despite having unlimited free firewood my wife still doesn't want one in the house which is absolutely crazy and is quite happy to pay the robbing barstewards! I would reckon I could save at least £900 a year in heating the house and about £300 a year in not having to pump the water around the radiators etc. I have said I will bring in the wood, and stack it etc and even clean out the ashes but she is still not interested.

I don't understand women:thumbdown:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have gas heating and a log burner, I have the heating on for 30 mins early in the morning once it gets really cold so the house is warm then it's the log burner all day and night, if the g/f wants the gas heating on instead of the log burner she can pay for it. but luckily she likes it.

My problem is the electric usage we have, the unit outside is electric heating :(

Got a nice letter in yesterday from Scottish and Southern Energy. As of 17th November they are putting up our gas and leccy prices by 8.2 percent. Our leccy will be about £850 a year and the gas about £1220 or a grand total of £2080 or thereabouts. This was bound to happen as soon as Millbland said he was going to freeze the prices that energy companies could charge. Despite having unlimited free firewood my wife still doesn't want one in the house which is absolutely crazy and is quite happy to pay the robbing barstewards! I would reckon I could save at least £900 a year in heating the house and about £300 a year in not having to pump the water around the radiators etc. I have said I will bring in the wood, and stack it etc and even clean out the ashes but she is still not interested.

I don't understand women:thumbdown:

HI mike may gas bill £300 a year too much that for a year and elec is £5/600 far to much that thanks jon :thumbup:

No Eggs I am on mains gas. My wife has arthritis and feels the cold easily and then her joints start to ache. My youngest daughter who is 11 loves to stand in the shower for at least half an hour a couple of times a day.

Things are going to change!:cursing:

Get your screwdriver in the thermostat and leave a glossy woodburner brochure on the table by the TV, 14-16 degreesC I reckon youd have it in within a month:biggrin:

Hi Jon My mate a few miles away is off-grid and used to use LPG. His bills were eye watering till he got a stove in and 10 radiators off it. He gets free wood from me. His leccy bill is £22 a month. Its only him, his missus, and a 4 year old daughter. Mind you he spends at least twice as much more on beer a year at various beer festivals than I do on gas and leccy:thumbup: