Kiln dried Ash logs

PremiumWood

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That really does baffle me. I have measured the internal of the crate and thats bang on 2 cubic metres. Its all stacked neatly and i have filled 2 cubic metre bags and nearly filled a 0.25 barrow bag. We then unloaded the bags into our 1 cubic metre bays on the truck and they were right so im really not sure how you can get 2.6+ loose cubic metres out of one of those crates

I am not sure I agree with the links I posted as I would have thought you should get less than 1.5m3 loose from 1m3 stacked. I looked this up the other day has I had priced a job based on how much wood I stacked in their shed but I had priced per loose cube. 1m3 turning into 1.5m3 suits me :thumbup:

these are 2 metre tall crates (2050x850x1160). Ash is right saying that it equates to around 2.2 cubic metres loose.

Our 2.35m tall crates would be around 3m3 loose.

Ah so it's not 2m3 of logs in a crate. Looking at the pictures you have wooden struts all around plus the gap for pallets so internal size is more like 1.95m x .81m x 1.08 which comes to 1.7m3 stacked so if it turns into 2.2m3 loose it's about 1.3m3 loose to 1m3 stacked.

To give you an idea we had just about 2.2 loose cubic metres out of a 2 cubic metre stacked from premium wood.

Whoever says you can get 3 loose cubic metres has either never tried it and is just picking numbers out of the air or are filling builders bags.

The wood is very good quality and they are a great company to deal with.

That's interesting. I looked in to this last year. I load loose logs I have cut in to the back of the pick up which equates to about 1.1 cubic metres loose. I know this translates to 0.7 of a cubic metre when stacked as I measured a customers log store when I have stacked it. I was therefore working on the principle that a stacked 2 cubic metre crate should give just shy of 3 loose pick up loads.

However, it does depend on the dimensions of their logs. This would be born out by the fact one company told me on average there are 1500 logs in the 2cubic metre stacked crate which I thought would give four pick up loads as I know there is 350 logs approx per load. But if you only get 2.2 loose cubic metres out of the crate it shows that the dimensions of their logs means it takes more logs to fill the pick up.

At £165 plus vat per crate - total £198 if you buy 28 crates - that gives you a cost of £99 per cubic metre. If you add your own handling and delivery costs on top of that I would have thought you would have to be charging minimum of £130 delivered. I do not think my customers would be prepared to pay this price as I currently charge £85 for a loose cubic metre.

My brains hurting now, must be wine o'clock surely!!!

at £130 per load would loose all my customers. they like the wood we supply its dry but not kiln dry. and not paying a premium for wood that may be imported. keep to uk wood and charge a fair price for our logs may not be making a lot. but have a few who buy all year so makes up only having log orders in winter.

all i need is some wood getting low never been this low this time of year.