Winter work worries!

Quercus-90

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really get this, if he does 6 days a week when the work is there he will have that money for when there is no work.

I don't see how spreading out the work makes him any better off??:confused1:

Yes I know he will have the money to save for when things go pear shaped but not everyone is good at saving are they! At least he'll still have an income when things do go quiet.

Yes I know he will have the money to save for when things go pear shaped but not everyone is good at saving are they! At least he'll still have an income when things do go quiet.

But if things don't go quite he will have missed out on a lot of extra income :biggrin:

I don't really get this, if he does 6 days a week when the work is there he will have that money for when there is no work.

I don't see how spreading out the work makes him any better off??:confused1:

Depends how well he is with saving, most people see the money and it gets spent on something. Spreading the work will help cash flow and instead of being sat indoors once your out of work you will be out working giving more time to get more work in. How i see it

Depends how well he is with saving, most people see the money and it gets spent on something. Spreading the work will help cash flow and instead of being sat indoors once your out of work you will be out working giving more time to get more work in. How i see it

Makes me wonder how "most people" pay their tax bill.

Well as things are at the mo were fully booked untill December ish, I have planned to take at least 2 weeks of in jan as I haven't stopped all year!

Old mill, I don't blame you for thinking I'm fool hardy for going into this with what I guess could be viewed as a running before I can walk type of attitude, but I believe that no risk means no gain, and if I want to get where I want to be, maybe pushing forward while others hold back could give me an edge..... Or send me bankrupt! !

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Good for you mate.

I'm not saying that you've done the wrong thing and I congratulate you for trying. Nobody ever one a race by staying in the starting blocks.

If you're booked almost to Xmas, that's your first mistake.

All those advanced bookings are dead money. You won't get paid until the jobs are done so maybe consider getting freelancers in to process more work per week.

Then you'll be in a position to do more work as it comes in and if it doesn't and you find yourself without work, at least you'll have had a couple of bumper profit months. That's the risk of being self employed but if you've got that extra profit you can buy more gear or deal with repair bills.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Good for you mate.

I'm not saying that you've done the wrong thing and I congratulate you for trying. Nobody ever one a race by staying in the starting blocks.

If you're booked almost to Xmas, that's your first mistake.

All those advanced bookings are dead money. You won't get paid until the jobs are done so maybe consider getting freelancers in to process more work per week.

Then you'll be in a position to do more work as it comes in and if it doesn't and you find yourself without work, at least you'll have had a couple of bumper profit months. That's the risk of being self employed but if you've got that extra profit you can buy more gear or deal with repair bills.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Got to say I think that terrible advice.

This time of year people are generally more than happy to wait, its not like the spring when they often want it done ASAP.

Paying out for extra staff will eat up way to much profit, IMO.

Also telling customers you busy and can't do the job for a few weeks or even months, can actually build their confidence, as poor trades men are seldom booked up.

Got to say I think that terrible advice.

This time of year people are generally more than happy to wait, its not like the spring when they often want it done ASAP.

Paying out for extra staff will eat up way to much profit, IMO.

Also telling customers you busy and can't do the job for a few weeks or even months, can actually build their confidence, as poor trades men are seldom booked up.

Totally agree with the we are booked up to the start of Jan and the customers are happy to wait, if its a big job we ask them if they are happy to wait which they always are if not we would juggle things around to get the job done. If your busy your busy why change your current set up as its obviously working as your booked up with work and making a tidy profit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2