4 * 4 's

Yorkshireman

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here goes! I've driven em all!

Nissan, went ok but, good build quality but looked like it had been squashed! i.e out of proportion.

Ford ranger the newer one is well specced goes very well. It also tows 3000kg which I think is only equaled by the Isuzu Rodeo and bettered by Land Rover.

Toymota Hilux, I ran one for 13 months and I hated it, it was like driving a boat down the road, very bouncy and rolled in the corners cruised well at speed not great on diesel. It made an awfull tow vehicle it hated towing weight, we had 2 clutches under warranty.

Mazda BT50, A while since I drove one but it was a poor mans ranger and I don't think Mazda have kept up with ford.

Mitsy L200, I worked for a country park that had one for 18 months drove it most days not a bad motor, towed well, handled ok went like a train but the fuel consumption was bloody awfull, running with the sheep trailer on grossing 2500kg we had as low as 10mpg from it!:bawling: Off road ability fairly good.

If I was to chop the Landy in tomorrow for a nice comfey doublecab it would be for the new Ford ranger, but not before I'd driven a Isuzu Rodeo again.

Oh and if your buying brand new and intend to tow with make sure its possible to fit a digi tacho.

The new Isuzu is fully tachoable. That is one of Isuzus main selling features. Also remember the Hilux can only pull 2.25t so can really only be described as a toy towing vehicle.

My Uncles Nissans pull extremly well and I think they are the most powerful of the lot. Definatly test drive the Isuzu rodeo as I heard heard from a few they are very good. Also the Ranger and the Rodeo are cheap compared to the Nissan. Jonathan

My Rodeo is twenty months old and has done close to 100k miles with no problems, newer Rodeos have a better interior and better engine, but i've no real complaints about mine. New shape Nissan Navaras might have a clutch problem (heard they're fixed under warranty - but it's the hassle). Ranger supposed to be good, L200 look silly, Landrover will always hold their value - new ones with six speed box and Transit engines are great, I've been around the 4x4 course at Gaydon in one.

I personally wouldn't touch a 110 Land Rover double cab the actual pick up is tiny compared to all the jap stuff. and you will be paying 23k+ for an 07 model Best Land rover double cab is the 130 but thats 26k+ but as Pete says they don't depreciate any way near as much.

Iain,

My groundy nearly baught 2 y o Nissan but ended up buying new ranger for less money and loves it.

All will come with shite tyres if u want to do any off road and can make a good un shite, get some decent ones on from the start.

Richard.

Nissan Navara

The older ones were cool, smaller, compact little workhorses, this newer version with it's macho boatcar looks reeks of 'I'm a badasss look at me' there overpriced poseur mobiles, all that horsepower and cant pull worth a f**k. I also know of 4 of the new Navaras whose engines have blown up at 60,000. Avoid it like the plague. If you buy this vehicle you'll be sorry. Its shite.

Ford Ranger

Easily the best value for money, with the 3 ton towing capacity, Ford realises that some people still use pick-ups for work. They made a lot of improvements to the new version, more power in all the right places. Who says Ford are a spent force? Not me.

MitsY 200

What can I say, joke, what a bloody joke! WTF were the Mitsubishi designers on when they came up with that cross between a flying saucer and a dogsh*t, to say that this vehicle is ugly just does not do its ugliness justice. Any self respecting person would not be seen dead in this vomit inducing travesty of a pick-up. Aimed at subnuts, bought by subnuts. Avoid this vehicle at all costs, you will be bitterly disappointed if you by one. Those graphics, Jesus!!!

mazda bt50

Very good from what I know if somewhat overpriced, why are all mazdas overpriced? who knows, who cares. Used one for 2 years, never had any problems with it whatsoever, still aimed firmly at the working market, still used by intelligent people. Good buy.

toyota hilux

Well, well, well.....what have they done to the humble little Hilux? I'll tell you what they've done, they've turned it from a decent and indestructable little pick-up that couldn't pull a foreskin into what can only be described as a bloated scrotum on wheels.

Jesus H Christ!!!! 170 Horsepower and only capable of towing 2 and a quarter tons!! WTF!!! Toyota have forgotten their roots, they've gone for the white trash with cash market. Pathetic.

This pick-up is a toy. Its not for work.

What would I go for, the Ranger cause its still made for workers like myself.

ps anyone know why Daihatsu stopped making the awesome Fourtrack?fourtrack_ivory.jpg