I will beat any quote by 5%

steve@black

This is interesting in that i quoted a job recently 7 lombardis about 160 feet high(in my area they quite common) maybe 7 feet through at the base maybe more for some up to 15 leaders per tree we quoted 2 days a tree (a limited drop zone lots of rigging) and chipping on top of course for about 12000 standard rate being 2 guys and chipper 850-890 a day we got beaten by the orange machine to do the whole job for 5000. I cant work out the math on this as to how anyone could do the job over the same amount of time for that ????? Do they do the job to lose money and squeeze us out in the search of world domination

I wish we could get 850-900 a day for two men and chipper!

There are countless variables in pricing. A bigger crew, with bigger kit can be quicker. Two men on a big job are going to way slower. Depending on the job a decent climber can keep 3 guys on the ground feeding a 10 inch chipper busy. If you have one guy on the ground feeding a 6 inch the climber is going to spend allot of time waiting.

They might have sold the chip for biomass so having a whole tree chipper in at no cost.

Or they might have messed up! I have lost count of the number of big jobs I have underpriced.. Its not an exact science. I am sure in the past other outfits would have said how can they do it for that price the truth being I thought it would take us x days and it took us y. Luckily they aren't all like that.

A firm from birmingham has been on a job local to me in Derby taking out a load of big pops the client had 5 quotes all from reputable firms the cheapest £12000 the most expensive was £25470. (I was somewhere in the middle).

I would not have wanted it for the bottom figure and can't imagine the company is going to make much profit as they have already spent 2 weeks and only about halfway there. They have lots of big kit and I am sure know what they are doing but my guess is they have underestimated and won't be doing financially great on this job. They might however do great on the next one. You can't win them all.

Back to the OP, it is not such a risky strategy as I am pretty sure if they felt they couldn't do it for 5% less they just would not do the job. At least they have had a chance to try. It's not like a potential client will force them to undertake works.. They might actually win work at a higher rate then they would have quoted. I've often been told after quoting that so and so quoted way more.. If I had known that I could have been only 5% cheaper :001_smile:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we have some pic's of these 160ft poplars. I think they may have been over-estimated but if not they must be champion trees.

My quick search revealed that 40m is rare, so it would be nice to see them, before they go.

I think he may be in USA, 160 would be about right

I've had similar...but more direct quotes. They ask who else has quoted and then say 'I'll do it £50 cheaper than #### tree services'...Let 'em get on with it...the customers that pick the cheapest instead of the best are looking for what they get...good luck to 'em! :001_tongue:

This is interesting in that i quoted a job recently 7 lombardis about 160 feet high(in my area they quite common) maybe 7 feet through at the base maybe more for some up to 15 leaders per tree we quoted 2 days a tree (a limited drop zone lots of rigging) and chipping on top of course for about 12000 standard rate being 2 guys and chipper 850-890 a day we got beaten by the orange machine to do the whole job for 5000. I cant work out the math on this as to how anyone could do the job over the same amount of time for that ????? Do they do the job to lose money and squeeze us out in the search of world domination

Maybe these would use a crane and could do the job in a day.

I spend a bit of time chatting to potential new customers while doing quotes . My thought is have a bit of chit chat and a laugh . Then when you leave the potential customer will be thinking arrrrggghhh he was nice ; ) Sad but works for me :001_tt2:

I'd like to think i win a lot of my work that way, i have been established for nearly 10 years now and have 7 guys working full time for me, we have never been shy of work (touch wood this will continue) although i am in construction it is very similar initial contact with the client before a job is awarded.

Just remember potential clients are most likely going to be out at work when you do the job, especially if it runs over a few days, they could be nervous and need to trust the person they pick as you are on there property and could potentially do some damage. They will only have a hour at MAX to chat with you when looking at a job so that is the only time you get to make the best impression possible as this is more likely what they will choose a company on, if its anything like my trade, unless a company is cutting there throte to get the work most people are pricing about the same cost per hour so it is down to how likeable, trust-worthy, polite and punctual / tidy you can make yourself out to be.

When i go and price a job i am always enthusiastic (as i love what i do) and i go with the same enthusiasm as the first descent size job i got asked to price, i always take photos of past completed works, before and after!!!