what chain oil does every one use?

carpenter1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but still more than twice the price of rapeseed oil. Why the h would you spend that if rapeseed has given satisfactory service? That seriously adds up when you're getting through 30 litres a fortnight...

i have been using bog standard cheap as chips sae30 engine oil in the dolmars for the last 30 yrs but now iam going to change for the better:thumbup:

so how about pure rapeseed oil for the smaller bars and a mix of rapeseed oil and chain oil for the bigger bar maybe mix 4ltrs rape oil and 1ltr of chain oil that would give it a good a good tack :thumbup::thumbup:

i have been using bog standard cheap as chips sae30 engine oil in the dolmars for the last 30 yrs but now iam going to change for the better:thumbup:

so how about pure rapeseed oil for the smaller bars and a mix of rapeseed oil and chain oil for the bigger bar maybe mix 4ltrs rape oil and 1ltr of chain oil that would give it a good a good tack :thumbup::thumbup:

Bang on mate. Make sure it's rapeseed tho mate, not soya, sunflower et al :thumbup1:

Using Vegetable Oil to Replace Chainsaw Oil | Eartheasy Blog

VEGETABLE OIL FOR LUBRICATING CHAIN SAWS

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

We use cooking oil

I think the last lot was spry crisp and dry

How is rape seed oil better than the others may I enquire

The little bearings in your clutch drum/bar sprocket ... Rape seed has better lubrication and heat property's it won't congeal in to a horrible mess in oil pumps and pipes if left like some veg oil either.

I recently bought semi synthetic 10w40 engine oil from my motor factors for approx £1.10/l - we have used this in the saws recently as it is massively cheaper than chain oil. And we use rapeseed oil if bio oil is required, but I'm not convinced it is all that good on bigger bars. Chain oil is crazy money for what it is - there must be serious profit in it. I can't see how a very high quality engine oil can be sold for less money than chain oil (and I spent a lot of effort trying to find bulk chain oil for less money than the engine oil).

If anyone can supply me with chain oil for £1 a litre or less then please give me a shout - I'll buy it by the IBC if necessary.

I recently bought semi synthetic 10w40 engine oil from my motor factors for approx £1.10/l - we have used this in the saws recently as it is massively cheaper than chain oil. And we use rapeseed oil if bio oil is required, but I'm not convinced it is all that good on bigger bars. Chain oil is crazy money for what it is - there must be serious profit in it. I can't see how a very high quality engine oil can be sold for less money than chain oil (and I spent a lot of effort trying to find bulk chain oil for less money than the engine oil).

If anyone can supply me with chain oil for £1 a litre or less then please give me a shout - I'll buy it by the IBC if necessary.

Hi, The 10w40 engine oil will be cheaper because it is not Bio oil and is made and sold in far larger amounts.

Chain oils have been tested and have to meet standards. Cooking oil has been tested for cooking.

Use what you like but all oils are all different, for different jobs and so cost different amounts to make.

That is extremely cheap! I didnt think you could get engine oil that cheap anymore.:thumbup1:

We buy direct from oregon,husky plus others including an oil manufacture who mix the oil for some of the mentioned companies and it certainly costs us a lot more than £1 litre ex VAT.The engine oil is even dearer as it has more additives in it.

We used to use cheap engine oil along time ago when it was something like £2/£2.5 for 5 litres. Never had an issue with bars/chains wearing prematurely. Changed to 200 litre drums of chain oil when the oil prices started going up.

Although I like the sound of the rapeseed oil and think ill give it a try.