Holy moly it's here at last

LSD

a good point , well made.

So............. I have just purchased a few petzl okTL (ovals), am I going to notice any significant difference to my v.t sytem compared to my pear shape spin-locks that I had.

I hasten to add that, had it not been for Arbtalk I would not have had any idea how a shape in krab could have any affect.(thanks guys, Rupe in particular)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did I do?

If you use a hitch climber then oval krabs will be benificial. End of.

FWIW (as I think I may have started the derail) the original thread was about getting excited about new karabiners, and that is worth derailing IMO!

Anyway a thread about different uses for different Karabiners, and correct allignment and what goes well with what would be a good useful read to many and I would contribute more positively.

Don't get me wrong janii - I am all up for improving my climbing with new aids. I use the oval petzl krabs which are perfect with my hitch climber. I just don't need colour coded ones to compliment my kit.

Apologies if I seemed overly negative to the original poster.

Don't get me wrong janii - I am all up for improving my climbing with new aids. I use the oval petzl krabs which are perfect with my hitch climber. I just don't need colour coded ones to compliment my kit.

Apologies if I seemed overly negative to the original poster.

Non taken,

The point of the was just to let people know that they have arrived, as I saw them in a thred along time ago, feature in the hitch climbers guide, and there Dmm witch are a good make of karabiner, made by the Welsh so when you buy one your also doing your bit for charity:001_smile:

janii, for all your criticism of garbage posted on this serious thread, (and who would argue with that assessment?) you have posted zilch that informs anyone not in the know about this new DMM Carabiner. Nothing dude! So all you have done is criticize period.

If you really want to make a difference where it counts, derail the derailment and talk about the development of the Treemagineers hitch climber, the two recommended crabs to use with it and why it's such a boon to our industry. This would explain why some of us fan boys are just plain excited about it's final arrival, and have a party to celebrate. Were shooting the breeze at said party checking out the girls in the kitchen taking vodka jelly shots, while your outside worried about the parking situation. I'm sorry to have been such a central part to your disappointment, but while we wait for the main act to turn up and dazzle us with their carabiner repartee, we locals like to have a laugh.

Feel free to start the serious stuff man, in the mean time lets all stare intently in your direction for an informed point of view. Your avatar suggests a rad approach to life which I feel is very misleading.

Pass me my slippers and pipe.

In the mean time heres a vid. watch about 1:10 for the red gate version of this crab.

[ame]

[/ame]

Treemagineers really should do a piece on this , but in the meantime, if y'all are using the hitchclimber as I do the ultimate set up includes or will do now an oval link on the return spliced end of your rope, makes it all sit very tidy and efficient, what with it being a very small link, the colour is because DMM use a green gate to delineate between arb and rope access carabiners, consequently the fashion slur is unfounded, this is a serious and well developed piece of kit, perfectly stressing nothing but the centre of the pulley Assembly.

More links....

http://www.dmmindustrial.com/searchByApp.asp?id=44&app=arborist&page=Products

http://www.treemagineers.com/index.html

it is a bit of a let down that a thread in climbers talk should end up being a bed time reading forum, im sure there are better sites to discuss fictional garbage and not retract from the original discussion. it is a disapointment that this is the case because this forum could have been a good tool for us all to learn something instead of grunt at the screen and degrade threads and make people crawl through the trash talk to get to something good i know im not the first person to think this. i kind of hope something could come from this but i do expect some laddish criticism that could yet again degrade a serious point.

Laddish criticisms? from us? shurly shome mishtake!

I think the trouble is that not everyone is excited by crabs, ropes etc. What do people want? Serious threads kept serious untarnished by banter? If this is the case the mods can delete all the irrelevant diatribe, creating a mass of work, and receiving a constant barrage of hoots of derision for doing so. If this is what people want then it is possible. If you want to post about Bond and his cronies, perhaps a related thread in the "Lounge" is more appropriate.

Some members do attend to learn stuff here, without the lads at the back pea-shooting ink-soaked paper pellets at the back of their heads.

Dean makes the point really. Discussions generally go off at tangents naturally (rupe!). particularly when people feel at ease in any given situation.

This was a jubilant thread about a new Karabina, I am one of the ones who is in fact excited by it's arrival, and also very much involved in the banter. I see no conflict in both subjects what so ever, that's how it rolls on the forum. If it were a dry and formal thread I wouldn't read it or get involved, for any thread to be engaging it has to be written by engaging people. No matter how educational a thread is, if its written by dry dullards, it doesn't work for me. I think I covered the basics of the subject, or at least covered it to the degree that anyone interested could take it further. But I welcome banter, I love it, On and off the forum I have a gob. This thankfully is not an AA newsletter!!

What I do have a problem with is people bemoaning the banter and yet not giving anything to the forum them selves.

I'm in a proper grump now. I've just kicked the living (consumable raddish urinal) out of my soap box.