Holy moly it's here at last

LSD

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy moly more edited thread titles, naughty naughty!! lol

Oops sorry about that, my first post as well.:sad:

anyway quite like the new title, the hitch climber combo wouldn’t look out of place on this guys utility belt

any chance of changing it agian?:001_tongue:

518KWJW7QWL._SS500_.jpg

I watched "on her majesty's secret service" a few weeks ago. Am I right in thinking that Bond's family motto was said to be "The world is not enough" or was that my imagination??

That was indeed the Bond family motto, as explained by Sable Basilisk at the collage of heraldry. (how the flip do I remember this useless stuff?)

Great book, and not a bad film either. Lazenby made quite a passable Bond.

Daniel Craig has captured the gritty nasty feel of the original bond character quite well.

The books are well worth a read if you remember that they were pulp fiction, not literary classics. They give a great snapshot of the postwar world, and bonds increasing discomfort with it.

Good mixed up derailed and directionless thread this one. My favorite flavor.

Despite a somewhat reduced climbing lifestyle, I am quite excited about this Carabiner/Carabina/Karabiner/Karabina/Crab/Krab/Link (but never carb) I've been waiting for it since it traveled in time and appeared in the treemagineers video a year back.

My son has just finished reading a young bond novel `Hurricane Gold' by Charlie Higson, he of The Higsons and the fast show fame. Right in the middle of it I made him watch `Diamonds are forever'. He said they were very similar in many ways, other than the story.

Top 3 Bond movies in order for me are...1. Live and let die, 2. On her majesty's secret service, 3. Thunderball. Worst.. anything directed by John Glen and of course the emperors new clothes, `quantum of solace'. And who could forget `moonraker', apart from everyone that is.

boo hiss! QofS is quintessential bond, distilled and sharp on the palate like 150 proof spirits.

Your refering to the literary version surley? The films have always steered a more camp cabaret course, avoiding the harsh realities of real espionage capers. The film was like a TV movie homage to the Roger era. The action sequences pandered to a childs MTV informed version of dramatic action. The camera was always too close, not allowing the kinetic energy of the sequence to be viewed as a whole. This made it difficult to get any sense of movement, it was all just messy. By contrast, the fight sequences in any of the Bourne films took a more measured aproach, and by doing so gave the choreography more credability. If you can see one man kicking the toffee out of another man in one wide shot, you know it's for real, right?

other than this modern phenomena, the film was hampered by some seriously bad performances from the supporting cast. Other than Dench of course who is a class act.

The script had been focus grouped to death and any grit had been removed to give it alower cert.

Ed, I think we are both big bond fans, so you know this was not a bond movie. Basing it on a flemming title and calling the main protagonist James, does not make it Bond. Lazenby kicking back with a room full of honeys on top of the Jungfrau in switzerland, that's bond!:001_tongue:

My problem is always comparing the Films to the books. The latest 2 films storyline,characters and feel followed the taste of the books much better than any of the older films.

I agree, not that I've read them. But those books were always going to make weak films. Thats why the Broccoli avoided them in the first place. C.R. was a card game. wow! action packed! no car chase or barry theme. I thought Dr.No and From Russia with Love had Flemming fidelity. As do Bourne francise, which is where I looked recently to get my spy itch scratched.