Subcontracting chipper rates (to help with finance payments)

kentjames

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A chipper is not that expensive. What makes you think it's worth any more than a digger and driver? Just because it's 'arb?'

if you can get £400 a day go for it. If your business model revolves around getting that and it sitting in the yard (not wearing out) most days, then that's awesome. However, £250 a day sounds reasonable in a lot of the country, especially when paying the finance on your first one. Just know when to chop it in for a new one.

Thanks for everyone's input here.

I think the chipper purchase is a go'er, I just need to see a few more quotes for larger machines to ensure the tw125 is the right machine for my needs and wallet.

Thanks for all your input on subby'ing it out to others - another string in the bow which I think may prove profitable in my area but will have to see.

Back to the overhead breakdowns and cost verses profit forcasting for me.

Thanks chaps

J

I have been balancing up this exact same thing recently.

Purchased a newer truck - Transit Double Cab tipper. Now the whole chipper conundrum!

For me its more TW125 against 150 and whether to go new or used???

Or what else is out there for similar money - Vermeer, Schiesling, Grren Mech, etc

Be interested to see your chipper in action Mark Bolam, as not seen the smaller TW's before.

Chris

Buy what you can afford, I started with a TW 150, I bought it new and when sold it 4 years later I got 8 grand back for it. People slag TW off but I think there great. Get a budget and stick to it, look about for a good machine and get it from a reputable dealer with a warranty. Having a chipper will make the job easier and it ain't gonna cost you more than £100 a week I wouldn't think.

Yh I no that Steve, but for sub contracting to other tree surgeons with a truck and chipper is around the £250 mark, I have never paid more than that anyway

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Don't mirror your business on someone who isn't making money. :001_rolleyes:

Sub contracting to your competition should only be done if its very profitable for both parties. Using a skill set or machine that the other does not have and each party benefits.:001_smile:

While you are getting quotes for your new chipper, ask Godfrey's for a quote on a GreenMech 130, I was surprised at the performance and I work for them! Throughput was bloody good and the letterbox opening could take more knarly brash with ease. Well worth a demo....