Badgers

home of wood

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you`ll be suprised how many people all ready kill badgers, and now this is a licence for any idiot with a gun to have a free for all,,,,there is no easy answer as I see it,,, and as others have all ready said,,,its different if it effects your livelyhood,,,,my local chicken man thinks its ok not too fence his chickens in,but far more exceptable to shoot the fox? put a pint in front of me and I`m going to drink it,etc,,,

Of course there's an easy answer to it: just remove the ridiculous unnecessary legal protection the badger!

The truth is there are far too many badgers & that's why TB is such a problem in them. Same as any other overpopulated animal system. Removing their protected status would allow the numbers to revert to where they were 30 years ago to the benefit of both farmer AND badger.

Cost to the taxpayer? ZERO.

Those farmers with clean sets near them would ensure they are protected whereas the infected sets could be gassed/ shot whatever.

NB vaccine has to be repeated every year, works at best 58% of the time, doesn't prevent TB carriers continuing to infect all they come across & is very expensive both to procure & administer.

Not sure the cull as proposed will work, but anything that reduces their numbers is worth a try. First thing that govt. should have done is identify as far as possible every badger set in the cull area & test the dung pits for TB presence. If present, then gas the whole set. If not then leave them well alone - don't shoot a single one.

BTW I do not farm for a living, but spent most of my working life problem solving, & am contemptuous of government advisers & bunny huggers alike, to the point of exasperation.

Of course there's an easy answer to it: just remove the ridiculous unnecessary legal protection the badger!

The truth is there are far too many badgers & that's why TB is such a problem in them. Same as any other overpopulated animal system. Removing their protected status would allow the numbers to revert to where they were 30 years ago to the benefit of both farmer AND badger.

Those farmers with clean sets near them would ensure they are protected whereas the infected sets could be gassed/ shot whatever.

NB vaccine has to be repeated every year, works at best 58% of the time, doesn't prevent TB carriers continuing to infect all they come across & is very expensive both to procure & administer.

Not sure the cull as proposed will work, but anything that reduces their numbers is worth a try. First thing that govt. should have done is identify as far as possible every badger set in the cull area & test the dung pits for TB presence. If present, then gas the whole set. If not then leave them well alone - don't shoot a single one.

BTW I do not farm for a living, but spent most of my working life problem solving, & am contemptuous of government advisers & bunny huggers alike, to the point of exasperation.

The TB comes FROM the cattle TO the badger (wanted to add "you cretin" but thought better of it)

The vaccine is for the CATTLE not the badger (see bracket above)

Was it a long and industrious career in problem solving?

this is very true:thumbup: a badger has no predator above him and there numbers have increased ten fold over the years and are too numerous for there own welfare they do carry the tb virus it is often in small pockets of infected animals and most farms have a badger sett but these badgers travel miles every night foraging digging up allsorts , and if when your out and about in the country you see a badger out and in the daytime there is a chance it is'nt feeling 100% and as setts get overcrowded different badgers get pushed out and they gotta find there own territory which is often on top of another group of badgers and if they are infected with tb then do they pass it on to other badgers or cattle?? who knows :001_huh: defra should be testing all culled animals and there waste. period and stop dilly dallying around and get a solution underway where all animals can be healthy. it is costing the country millions killing all the dairy and beef animals, and with the country's population of people growing, that food isnt in the food chain it is condemmend so therefore you automatically have a short fall of beef and beef products and hence higher prices per kg which like the tb compensation scheme has grown ten fold over the last twenty years the same as the badger population so it is a big big problem all over europe the goverments of the e.u need to sort this out once and for all and get some concrete facts and evidence and act on it :thumbup::thumbup:

this is very true:thumbup: a badger has no predator above him and there numbers have increased ten fold over the years and are too numerous for there own welfare :

This is where the cull logic is so obviously counter intuitive. Yes the badger has no natural predator, yes the population has expanded as a consequence (similar the deer population) The answer is not to cull the badger and make the next creature down the food chain the problem of the future - blood thirsty killer hedgehogs! How about reversing the cull logic? Reintroduce the natural balance Wild Boar, Wolf, Bear, the shooting season would be awesome! Not all anti cull supporters are 'bunny huggers', I shoot and support the hunt but I don't believe the badger cull is appropriate.

This is the best view yet me thinks .....

As has been suggested above, the cull needs to be a human cull.

We breed as if there,s no tomorrow, knock down walls and hedges to make 100acre fields to make farming more efficient and productive, force grow millions of chickens a day in order to feed the ever growing population...

We as humans as a result need to manage other species in order to carry on breeding, feeding and housing our broods

What really pee,s me off is those ignorant humans that breed most prolifically then whinging and protesting about having to manage the land that we need to maitain their needs.

We consume around 2 million chickens a day in the uk and want them in the supermarkets for next to nothing, then moan about their welfare standards

If people really want to help, stop popping out kids like they are frigging smarties, stop consuming and wasting food like there's no tomorrow and starting growing some of your own fruit and veg in your gardens instead of having a football fields worth of decking to sit and digest all the Maccy d,s crap you,ve just eaten and a grow a gut and backside the size of cows.

Humans need to stop being so selfish and ignorant, that would be a good start

Just my opinion and not aimed at anyone in particular, but if any of the above seems familiar, I couldn't give two hoots whether your offended or not :biggrin:

As has been suggested above, the cull needs to be a human cull.

We breed as if there,s no tomorrow, knock down walls and hedges to make 100acre fields to make farming more efficient and productive, force grow millions of chickens a day in order to feed the ever growing population...

We as humans as a result need to manage other species in order to carry on breeding, feeding and housing our broods

What really pee,s me off is those ignorant humans that breed most prolifically then whinging and protesting about having to manage the land that we need to maitain their needs.

We consume around 2 million chickens a day in the uk and want them in the supermarkets for next to nothing, then moan about their welfare standards

If people really want to help, stop popping out kids like they are frigging smarties, stop consuming and wasting food like there's no tomorrow and starting growing some of your own fruit and veg in your gardens instead of having a football fields worth of decking to sit and digest all the Maccy d,s crap you,ve just eaten and a grow a gut and backside the size of cows.

Humans need to stop being so selfish and ignorant, that would be a good start

Just my opinion and not aimed at anyone in particular, but if any of the above seems familiar, I couldn't give two hoots whether your offended or not :biggrin:

Best post on the subject yet. A big problem is that while feckless idiots can hump away sans condom without a concern for the consequences as society will pick up the tab, the people that do produce children will often just be producing more of the same selfish cretins as themselves. :thumbdown:

I would love to see other animals reintroduced into the wild. Bears and a wolf or two would be fantastic.

The human subject just cracked me up. What about immigrants aswell, can we have a good cull on them aswell, for sitting on there backside eating all the food?