Badgers

home of wood

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the badger cull is underway ! Are you against it or for it.

I'm doing a bit of fence balancing at the moment . I am sure that if I were a cow farmer , be it beef or dairy , and had suffered from tb then I would be all for it just to be on the safe side but how much definitive proof is there and how is culling 70% going to stop it should it be the badgers ? The other 30% could still spread it if its them ......

Edited by Stubby
spelling ....

Against. please sign if you dont want the cull.

Stop the cull - rspca.org.uk

if they had proof it was the badgers then fine . but they dont, they are not even testing the culled animal to see if they are infected. TB can also lay dormant in cattle so may test clean , and when retested be infected. There is not enough knowlage to start upsetting the "natural ballance"

Edited by bikewoo

I have seen the horror to can bring a hard working farm, also the aftermath it brings aswell. And still the constant struggle and worry that the testing also brings.

I am neither for nor against the cull.

I can see why people don't want it but also why they do.

To be honest I don't really care... Maybe that wrong!

To be honest the cull is probably killing as many badgers as are killed each night on the roads but you don't hear the RSPCA campaigning to stop us driving on the rounds in the countryside at night. The RSPCA is becoming too political nowadays, no wonder they don't have any money for their shelters when they pursue spurious legal actions which cost them thousands of pounds in legal bills per day.

To be honest the cull is probably killing as many badgers as are killed each night on the roads but you don't hear the RSPCA campaigning to stop us driving on the rounds in the countryside at night. The RSPCA is becoming too political nowadays, no wonder they don't have any money for their shelters when they pursue spurious legal actions which cost them thousands of pounds in legal bills per day.

I rang the RSPCA to report a horse that was being ill treated and all they were interested in was wheather I would like to donate £10 a month :thumbdown:

There is no doubt in my mind that bTB in a herd is horrendous, emotionally crippling and financially disastrous for the farmer. Just like foot & mouth, but slowly and insidiously it would be heartbreaking to see your livelihood destroyed (and not to forget the financial burden of compensation paid from central government tax revenue.) But, and it's a very big but, there is no conclusive scientific evidence that suggests a badger cull will do anything to solve the problem. On the contrary, causing the dispersal of localised sets has the potential to exacerbate the problem. Some farmers, despite the tired and often quoted 'stewards of the countryside' label have a lot to learn and practice in terms of bio security. Carting wagonloads of beast, crammed into wagons all across the country and continent, cross contamination and lack of biosec all contribute to the problem, badger proof feed troughs and vaccination could easily alleviate the problem. This cull is being driven by the NFU, is misguided and will be proved to be ineffective.