Product to seal cut wound on tree?

PHAS

I haven't read all the posts but you said the limb has torn back to the trunk. If so, there is nothing for you to do and you should just leave the natural fracture to heal properly. That process started the day the limb broke off so if you 'tidy' it you'll only make things worse.

You mentioned two old wounds at the same level. If they are big and extensive enough that you are concerned, should the tree not have a hard reduction or fell?

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tree wound dressing is sold in many forms here stateside. I have found that the use of such material only benefits the manufacturers and foolish customers willing to buy out of shear ignorance. Allow the wound to heal naturally and move forward.

easy-lift guy

Wound sealants do have a place, the nursery industry uses them to good effect in grafting.

Post Arbrex the product to use was called Lac Balsam. We used it until Shigo came along and saved us all from a messy job. What we found is that Lac balsam promoted very fast callus intialisation. It contained growth hormones similar to those in rooting powder. On horse chestnut in particular you could almost see the callus tissue growing:001_smile:

Wound sealants do have a place, the nursery industry uses them to good effect in grafting.

Based on your previous reply, I suspect in nature grafting of material does not exist as well. I have never found any compelling evidence supporting the use of any material to support the creation of Second wall around a tree wound either man made or by nature.

easy-lift guy

As an aside, it's amazing how many "pros" are saying trees heal. They seal, they don't heal!

It depends on your definition of "heal". Is the healing process on the human body not started by "sealing" the wound with platelets which can be viewed as the start of the "healing" process as a whole??

I haven't read all the posts but you said the limb has torn back to the trunk. If so, there is nothing for you to do and you should just leave the natural fracture to heal properly. That process started the day the limb broke off so if you 'tidy' it you'll only make things worse.

You mentioned two old wounds at the same level. If they are big and extensive enough that you are concerned, should the tree not have a hard reduction or fell?

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

It may be that after further investigation with an ariel inspection that a reduction or removal is required, not been up yet though but prob will get the picus on it to see what's going on in there.

As for the limb I think I'm going go with the majority and leave a good stub

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App