War memorial - haunting thought

Shane

Today I had the day off and visited the Goodwood Open air sculptures in Sussex.

I saw something there which really got me thinking (amazing I know) - which I believe is one of the purposes of art.

It was a huge blank book about 10 ft tall, open with nothing in it.

From a distance it looked like a memorial. That's when the profound-thought faries scattered their dust in my direction.

Imagine if every town had a large memorial inscribed only at the top with-

'To those who must fall in future conflicts'

(Think about it for a minute).

War can only be declared once a few hundred names have been filled in -

but by whom? Politicians, nationalistic parents, whoever.

After the names are added, and only then, should they be allowed to declare war on some tinpot oil-producing state to keep the wheels of their industries turning.

No names - NO WAR.

I don't mind if those of you who have lost friends or loved ones in conflicts disagree and think I'm a lefty coward - if you would be willing to put your children's names on the list, fair enough.

The politicians have always found rousing words to encourage support for wars, but let them be the first to add to the list.:sneaky2: maybe they could even add their own names.

Today I had the day off and visited the Goodwood Open air sculptures in Sussex.

I saw something there which really got me thinking (amazing I know) - which I believe is one of the purposes of art.

It was a huge blank book about 10 ft tall, open with nothing in it.

From a distance it looked like a memorial. That's when the profound-thought faries scattered their dust in my direction.

Imagine if every town had a large memorial inscribed only at the top with-

'To those who must fall in future conflicts'

(Think about it for a minute).

War can only be declared once a few hundred names have been filled in -

but by whom? Politicians, nationalistic parents, whoever.

After the names are added, and only then, should they be allowed to declare war on some tinpot oil-producing state to keep the wheels of their industries turning.

No names - NO WAR.

I don't mind if those of you who have lost friends or loved ones in conflicts disagree and think I'm a lefty coward - if you would be willing to put your children's names on the list, fair enough.

The politicians have always found rousing words to encourage support for wars, but let them be the first to add to the list.:sneaky2: maybe they could even add their own names.

Imagine that wouldnt last long down Montague Street Shane unless its on cctv all the time!

I went with my school 16 years ago with battlefields tours and the first half of the trip is all a good laugh looking at battlegrounds having a go in the trenches etc but the second half was graves, I don't think any one was prepared for the sheer volume of head stones! And then then the sobering reality that a vast majority of soldiers hadn't and probably never will be found....... It was a very emotional afternoon and drive home!

I think every child of suitable age should visit the war cemeteries of Northern Europe. It's a sobering sight and always brings a tear to my eye.

I've never seen a group of youngsters shaken more than by the bone galleries at Verdun; piles of bones on full view, many broken.

Yes, visits to such places would give them a sharp history lesson.