Heights

ambo100

Funnily enough my boss was about that age when he stopped climbing, he'll still do it though if needed. I remember seeing a pic of a blood stained harness on a spiked fence, I believe the climber survived though

Oh thats ok then:lol::lol:, I'll just tell myself next time I'm over railings, that if I do fall and get impaled it may be survivable. No worries then:lol::lol::lol: I feel so much happier now:thumbup:

I never said I was giving up climbing cos i'm getting old(er), maybe less of it as my position at work is evolving and leading me more to other roles.:001_huh:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me neither, Its been my livelihood all my life. I don't know when I'll hang up my gear for good, I planned on stopping at 40, then 45, maybe 50 now (55?).

Going into further education in a couple of months, so may end up only doing the biggest/hardest/most difficult trees until the young guns improve a bit more. I suppose when they almost catch up I'll give up, get out while the goings good. Nothing worse than clinging onto the past.

But there's so much more than climbing, if you're interested and enjoy learning. The physical side is but a small part. Some will never do, or want to do, more than climb, which is fair enough. But furthering the knowledge and understanding of the bigger picture is interesting, its not climbing but it is challenging and its something to get out of bed for when you get older.

Spoke to the bloke I replaced today and the reason he stopped was a sudden fear of heights. He said as soon as he hit 42 that was it

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The best climbers I know are in their 40's, by the time I am 40 I might actually be good.

It's natural to be scared of heights particularly to start with you just get used to it over time.

Finding this thread really interesting and comforting. I've got my CS38 in 4 weeks and don't really know how i'll cope with the height. I've got some climbing gear due to be delivered tomorrow so i'll be finding out this weekend! (and i'll be climbing with an experienced climber, not on my own)

Did you find that right at the top with all the crown around you is fine and as you gradually strip it off until you have a stick it starts to get more twitchy . Yopur at the top ready to start sectioning down and there is nothing but blue sky all around you !

Your at the top ready to start sectioning down and there is nothing but blue sky all around you !

I'm finding now that that is my favourite bit. It's usually a chance to get a really cracking view of the scenery up here.

I CANNOT climb on rock though. AT ALL.