Anchor point ? Take your pick.

Dean Lofthouse

This ancient sycamore has been on the cards for ages, the centre is hollow and the branch unions are basically held on by the cambium layer.

The trunks at the top are like thin tubes and it has got to the stage where the owner is concerned that they may start peeling off. Rather than take the tree down, I've persuaded them to reduce the tree to reduce the loading so that the tree can be kept as habitat.

..and boy is there some habitat. Birds are visiting it left right and centre and woody woodpeckers been having a ball, there's also alsorts of other plants growing in the hollow.

Sorry didn't get a before pic but it is reduced to roughly half it's original height, looks a bit stubby for my liking but not a lot of choice.

p1.jpg.ed8bb10d0ef15f591d226b043c9ca85d.jpg

p2.jpg.29412e09498373091ae48688ccb07b74.jpg

p3.jpg.8be3dff19fa94998b9214ab894bc9733.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They were bird friendly people and the tree didn't have any targets so they came round fairly easily. I just told them not to sit under it in a gale :001_smile:

you didnt want to run your lovely sharp saws through all the crap in the middle of the trees mate, i would of opted for the pole prune pollard myself:001_tongue:

good job, not too severe, better to keep the tree and prune semi considerably than removing it

i've done a harsh reduction on a huge old tree at Cramond estate in Edinburgh, I'll go get some pictures,

Jamie