Big saws 880 3120 etc

swinny

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are very few trees in this country that truly need a big saw, most of the time they can be done with a 660/395 or even a smaller saw. But, as said before, the big saws can come in really handy for ringing up or cross-cutting big stuff and for felling in one cut. I really like the big bar if there's any seriously big windblow that needs off-rooted, much easier than doing reduction cuts and moving around the stem. Well worth having access to a big saw in your arsenal.

I use a 3120xp but rarely for felling, its nicer to rest it on a trunk laid on its side and cut through with gravity on your side. Also for alaskan mill.

If its a walk to the site of use and you carry it, you are tired before you get there! Its not the weight alone its the numbness. Where do you put the bar when carrying and keeping it balanced. The reason these big saws come up for sale is. Numbness in use causes fatigue and as already mentioned, you can do most jobs up to 2 bar lengths of a smaller saw.

Funny you should say that, I filled mine with aspen then read on here somewhere it'll rot the fuel lines if you use petrol then aspen, was I wrong?

Hi, The ethanol and solvents from pump petrol soak into the rubber components in the fuel system. Aspen has no ethanol or solvents and so over time will wash them out of the rubber parts and in some cases cause them to shrink or go stiff.

There has been only a very small number of cases.

The only things common to the cases I know of are:

Large volume of pump fuel has pasted though the fuel system

Large volume of Aspen has then pasted though the fuel system

If there is going to be a problem it shows after 3-4 weeks of heavy use.

These rubber components would fail after time when using pump fuel.

We do a test to shown how harmless Aspen is by dropping polystyrene into it and it floats unharmed for months.

Do the same with pump petrol and the polystyrene will melt within seconds.

The rubber components will live far longer if Aspen fuel is used.

Hope this helps.

Eddie

This one has the manual oiler too, but definitely no choke. Has a small primer (about where would expect chojke to be) that you have to pump til it sprays fuel onto the filter. It's a pain in the arse, though if it comes out a bit more regularly it's not half as bad to get going.

Until it's primed it absolutely won't go, and if you spray too much fuel and flood it then you may as well give up and come back to it later......

Dunno exact age but pretty sure it's 1990's - though it's still real tidy.

Ok . never seen that before . Thought you were winding me up ! Not sure what age mine is . Will dig it out and have a look .

• 4 months later...

good evening iam in the process of getting myself a 48" alaskan mill , as things have turned out recently iam kicking myself a few weeks ago i sold my dolmar 166 with 36'' bar all summer i havent used it noew i bloody need it typical, but i did sell it for alot of money i now need a big milling saw i have four saws in mind that i got my eye on

husky 3120 stihl 076 stihl 084 dolmar 153 all of these saws have all got good bars

and i have two 36" and one 42" of my own here

so i was hoping that anyone who is milling at the moment could help me out with there veiws on do's and donts and ups and down of these saws

thanks

andrew

good evening iam in the process of getting myself a 48" alaskan mill , as things have turned out recently iam kicking myself a few weeks ago i sold my dolmar 166 with 36'' bar all summer i havent used it noew i bloody need it typical, but i did sell it for alot of money i now need a big milling saw i have four saws in mind that i got my eye on

husky 3120 stihl 076 stihl 084 dolmar 153 all of these saws have all got good bars

and i have two 36" and one 42" of my own here

so i was hoping that anyone who is milling at the moment could help me out with there veiws on do's and donts and ups and down of these saws

thanks

andrew

Funnily enough, there is a well priced 088 up at the moment on Arbtrader.....

Of your list, personally I would go with the 076. All will do the job though. The Husky is fine, and will pull a big bar, but people generally seem to prefer Stihls for milling (don't really know why). The Dolmar would worry me on parts availability. The 084 has certain parts which I believe are NLA. The 076 still has full parts availability, both OEM and aftermarket decent quality, which on a working saw is significant. I run one for most milling, although I did stick the 090 on Burrell's 4' bar for quartering the big lump of oak this weekend and it chewed through it in a more determined and unstoppable way!

Alec

Funnily enough, there is a well priced 088 up at the moment on Arbtrader.....

Of your list, personally I would go with the 076. All will do the job though. The Husky is fine, and will pull a big bar, but people generally seem to prefer Stihls for milling (don't really know why). The Dolmar would worry me on parts availability. The 084 has certain parts which I believe are NLA. The 076 still has full parts availability, both OEM and aftermarket decent quality, which on a working saw is significant. I run one for most milling, although I did stick the 090 on Burrell's 4' bar for quartering the big lump of oak this weekend and it chewed through it in a more determined and unstoppable way!

Alec

hello alec i have been reading alot of posts about milling and i was thinking that the parts availability and fuel economy would swing the balance i have 4 saws in the 70cc to 90cc class so they will cover the smaller saw logs

i saw a 090 for sale last week it was immaculate mega big bucks

cheers andrew

hello alec i have been reading alot of posts about milling and i was thinking that the parts availability and fuel economy would swing the balance i have 4 saws in the 70cc to 90cc class so they will cover the smaller saw logs

i saw a 090 for sale last week it was immaculate mega big bucks

cheers andrew

The 070/090 always goes for big money, very iconic saw, average price on the bay for an 070 is £4-500, an 076 averaged £2-400, depending on how tidy the saw is, but both these series of saws have 95% parts availability.

I have tried a few of the 80cc+ saws, some are impressive, some less so! Personally I would go for the giant old stihls for running a bigger mill.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App