So what is the right price?

nod

I almost never win work on price, in fact I actively avoid quoting for work where its three quotes and the cheapest price gets it, because its a waste of my time. If you feel you have to quote low to get the work, you are quoting for the wrong clients, look for some better ones.

My man day rate is nearer what most people on this thread are quoting for a 2 man team, but my setup relies on machines rather than cheap labour so its not really a fair comparison.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that makes sense, and surely if we are all building the cost of a days work around expense of running vehicle, chipper, saws, insurance etc theJob HAS to pay. What do you Guys do if you think the job is a real full day for 2 men for example, but you are pretty sure you will have to break into the following day to go back and pick up some cord or finish off. Do you just quote your "day rate" or do you add a bit as insurance, and not worry it might make you that bit more expensive!

I think that makes sense, and surely if we are all building the cost of a days work around expense of running vehicle, chipper, saws, insurance etc theJob HAS to pay. What do you Guys do if you think the job is a real full day for 2 men for example, but you are pretty sure you will have to break into the following day to go back and pick up some cord or finish off. Do you just quote your "day rate" or do you add a bit as insurance, and not worry it might make you that bit more expensive!

I stick 2 days on it. I am pretty good now at judging a job and pricing accordingly, I know exactly how much I need toile each day and know my costings down to a t. If I go and look at a job and its a I'm getting a load of quotes and I will choose the cheapest then I put my price in and leave, some I get some I don't, but most of my work is where I have been recommended so I can have a chat and talk them through what needs doing etc and the give them a price reflecting my teams skill and quality of work. Most time it works. Some times I get the folder out of the van with insurance and certs in but most of the time its about just talking to the customer. If there is a job I want and I have to be a bit canny with the price then so be it. It all about knowing your business and knowing how to deal with people.

Sent from Outerspace.

Its the same in most industries. Brewers fair do two nice meals for £10 with a pint ea and pudding around £20. Go to most local independant pubs you will be faced with a sour faced old bitch long wait and cold food dead atmosphere and a bill for £50. Point I am making is there is a recession and alot of people just dont have spare money. Things in some cases are getting cheaper and trades men unfortunately are one of them. You can leave your generators unserviced or let your trees grow but you need to go to the supermarket for food and petrol.

Its the same in most industries. Brewers fair do two nice meals for £10 with a pint ea and pudding around £20. Go to most local independant pubs you will be faced with a sour faced old bitch long wait and cold food dead atmosphere and a bill for £50. Point I am making is there is a recession and alot of people just dont have spare money. Things in some cases are getting cheaper and trades men unfortunately are one of them. You can leave your generators unserviced or let your trees grow but you need to go to the supermarket for food and petrol.

Exactly the lines I was thinking along mate, simple economics there will always be a level o fprice that the market will stand, wether that level is above or below what you need to make to cover costs really depends on where you are in the country and how many people providing the same service in your area, everyone from private individuals to local authorities are trying to save money, after foot and mouth round here there must have been another half dozen agri fencing contractors sprung up which has pushed it to the point where I usually get 1 in 10 of the jobs priced, due to people with shiny kit working for nowt just to keep cash flow and keep bank happy, similarly since the start of the recession it seems every man and his dog has got a trailer on the back of thier car with a mower in and is a gardener, if you can afford to stand your ground and wait for people to accept prices at the level your happy at thats fair enough, if not you do like me and take whats offered workwise even if it may not be my core work or using any of the gear I've got, monies, money at the end of the day :001_cool:

I've found that many of my clients accept my prices. Many of them are not looking for budget/cheap rates, but a good honest value for money price. I want to be able to pay my colleagues the best money I can for their skills, I want to cover my costs and turn a bit of profit. In return, I want to give the client the best service I can, across the board. The best advice, the best prunings, the best clear up, and follow up calls later in the year, the whole 9 yards. Many of my clients have been won from others who have have maybe done a very good job of the tree, but a poor clear up, or a poor attitude of staff for example. This is a service industry, cutting trees is the easy bit, getting the rest right for a good rate is not so easy.

I don't get these threads where people should get what they think they are worth. You worth what someone will pay.

I don't do tree work but am a highly skilled cabinet maker with 20+ years experience and expensive tools. Because it is the sort of work that others like to do the pay is poor £10-£15 per hour. It's just how it is supply and demand. Lots of folk these days want to do tree work as they do my trade so the price goes down.

I've found that many of my clients accept my prices. Many of them are not looking for budget/cheap rates, but a good honest value for money price. I want to be able to pay my colleagues the best money I can for their skills, I want to cover my costs and turn a bit of profit. In return, I want to give the client the best service I can, across the board. The best advice, the best prunings, the best clear up, and follow up calls later in the year, the whole 9 yards. Many of my clients have been won from others who have have maybe done a very good job of the tree, but a poor clear up, or a poor attitude of staff for example. This is a service industry, cutting trees is the easy bit, getting the rest right for a good rate is not so easy.

I guess that's what makes them your clients, If they didn't they'd be someone else's.:001_smile:

Top and bottom of it is the right client will pay the right price. I prefer the client that understands we have to do things by the book with the correct training, insurance and equipment. I target those clients, not those who want a cash job and aren't bothered about whether you have the correct insurance or not.

If you are happy working for them get on with it, if you aren't and are not getting enough work in, either diversify or find another job because it won't change for the better

Edited by Dean Lofthouse