So what is the right price?

nod

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 years ago I used to get and install 1 in 10 generators I quoted. Then 5 years ago it had dropped to 1 in 100 and the margins were tiny. So now we dont look for generator sales. We used to take all repairs offered because we offered service as an overall package taking the rough with the smooth. Now I vet any work offered very carefully if people can buy on line and get couriered in they can send the crap back that way for repair. We concentrate and target the profitable parts of our industry. You may have noticed some suppliers less interested in new business and your accounts getting shut if not used regularly a generally cant be asked attitude in the country.

I'm not sure this thread achieved anything other than stating the obvious, which I'm sure has been done before in other threads, and giving some people a source to vent. There is no doubt that the industry is being devalued but is seems to be a vicious circle with no realistic solution.

Life is like an onion; you peel off layer after layer and then you find there is nothing in it.

Weston Tree Services Tree Surgeon Tree Surgery in Inverness and the Highlands

I'm not sure this thread achieved anything other than stating the obvious, which I'm sure has been done before in other threads, and giving some people a source to vent. There is no doubt that the industry is being devalued but is seems to be a vicious circle with no realistic solution.

A pretty fair summary.

Should evrybody make money? surely it should be hard to start, run and maintain a business over a number of years. Some should fall by the wayside for various reasons, poor planning, incompetent work, or more likely just bad luck, one bad debt, a big machine goes pop out of warranty.

getting old and losing the appetite.

Devalued? maybe, But if some people are to be believed there is still a very good living to be had.

If forums existed 40 years ago exactly the same things would be being said. Back in the mid 90s (20years ago!) I heard the same thing from my boss and others

A pretty fair summary.

Should evrybody make money? surely it should be hard to start, run and maintain a business over a number of years. Some should fall by the wayside for various reasons, poor planning, incompetent work, or more likely just bad luck, one bad debt, a big machine goes pop out of warranty.

getting old and losing the appetite.

Devalued? maybe, But if some people are to be believed there is still a very good living to be had.

If forums existed 40 years ago exactly the same things would be being said. Back in the mid 90s (20years ago!) I heard the same thing from my boss and others

20 years ago arb as we know it today was today was only just beginning.

40 years ago it did not exist.

20 years ago arb as we know it today was today was only just beginning.

40 years ago it did not exist.

So true Huck . I can remember my father telling me about a local tree guy circa 1975 cutting limbs off a tree near our house with a bow saw . The local panda car stopped and assisted in traffic control . They ended up using golf course putting green flags to control the traffic . I bet some of the lads on here don't even know what a panda car is :lol:

So true Huck . I can remember my father telling me about a local tree guy circa 1975 cutting limbs off a tree near our house with a bow saw . The local panda car stopped and assisted in traffic control . They ended up using golf course putting green flags to control the traffic . I bet some of the lads on here don't even know what a panda car is :lol:

A car full of pandas or a car made from panda skin........ :001_tongue::biggrin: